• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l v6 spark plug replacement

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
i am having a very hard time figuring out how to get to the passenger side plugs on this motor, they are in quite precarious positions. any and all advice and info, specifically on the passenger side plugs as mentioned, is very much appreciated

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your socket should have a hex on the end of it. Stick the socket on the plug and push it on till it locks around the plug, and then you have several options;

1. Use a regular wrench on the hex part of the sparkplug socket.

2. Use a short regular socket on the end of the hex of the sparkplug socket.

Those are a few of the shortest options you have for grabbing the plug. If you have a ratcheting wrench set, one of those that fits the end of the sparkplug socket works well in bad situations.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Some times going through the wheel well is the only option. I had to do that with my 2011. The A/C core housing is in the way going through the engine bay up top.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
Some times going through the wheel well is the only option. I had to do that with my 2011. The A/C core housing is in the way going through the engine bay up top.
i saw that in a video of someone doing that on the 4.0, the 2.9 and 4.0 share the same block right? i think that’s what i’m going to do because there ain’t no way i can’t get past that big black box from the top

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Keep trying. Its a bitch but it can be done "normally" I usually use a plug socket and a couple extensions. Its just about finding the right enterance point.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
i saw that in a video of someone doing that on the 4.0, the 2.9 and 4.0 share the same block right? i think that’s what i’m going to do because there ain’t no way i can’t get past that big black box from the top
The 4.0 OHV shares the block with the 2.9. The 4.0 SOHC is a different animal but access to things in the engine bay are pretty much the same with all three.

Going through the wheel well was sooooo much better than trying to work around the box in the bay.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
The 4.0 OHV shares the block with the 2.9. The 4.0 SOHC is a different animal but access to things in the engine bay are pretty much the same with all three.

Going through the wheel well was sooooo much better than trying to work around the box in the bay.
final question, what’s the best way of getting seized plugs out? is pb blaster the way to go or should i remove them while the block is hot? last homie didn’t use anti seize….

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Swivels, flex head ratchet, careful selection of socket extensions, etc will get you in there pretty easily. I assume you have AC in that truck, non AC trucks have a ton of room to access all the plugs on that side. Gets tight with an AC plenum in the way but totally doable.

You could try PB blaster, it won't hurt. I don't have much faith in penetrating oils and rarely use them on anything. I've had plenty of plugs that were simply really tight, but none, ever, that were seized into an iron head. Pull hard and they should break loose.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Try to tighten a little first, then loosen. It’s doubtful penetrating oil will make it past the crush washer but it sure can’t hurt.

—Jazzer

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
final question, what’s the best way of getting seized plugs out? is pb blaster the way to go or should i remove them while the block is hot? last homie didn’t use anti seize….
What the others said. One blessing of having iron heads, there is less chance of galled threads.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
Swivels, flex head ratchet, careful selection of socket extensions, etc will get you in there pretty easily. I assume you have AC in that truck, non AC trucks have a ton of room to access all the plugs on that side. Gets tight with an AC plenum in the way but totally doable.

You could try PB blaster, it won't hurt. I don't have much faith in penetrating oils and rarely use them on anything. I've had plenty of plugs that were simply really tight, but none, ever, that were seized into an iron head. Pull hard and they should break loose.
thanks so much man! the “pull hard and they should break loose” part gave me the balls to yank tf out of that breaker bar and they came instantly really appreciate y’all’s words of wisdom💪🏼💯

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I usually did the spark plugs through the wheel well and if you have a body lift, so much the better. I have had better luck with Liquid Wrench instead of PB Blaster. Project Farm did a run down on various rust sprays, spolier alert - the hot wrench wins. I spray, run it a day, spray again, give it a short run to get it just hot enough in the morning, shut off, spray, and then remove while hot. Spark plug boots are more likely to get stuck when stone cold, so, I like to remove them when warm too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals