• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l v6 high idle / rough idle combo

88Rangersuperduty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I've been dealing with this issue on my 1988 ford ranger ( 2.9 v6 5 speed 4x4) when I start the truck cold or hot doesn't matter it high idles ( roughly 1300 to 1500 rpm) once you put it under load within 1 to 5 min of driving the truck spits and sputters ( dropping down too roughly 600 rpm or so) constant throttle in neutral for 30 seconds or so and it clears up and runs at 1300 too 1500 again with repeats of the same on a random occasion while driving ( same prosses clears it up) but does it every time on start up any thoughts?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
88Rangersuperduty:

The high idle part sounds like a vacuum leak.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Vacuum leak.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Get the engine warmed up and then unplug the idle air control valve wiring plug on the intake. The rpms may drop. If they don't, turn the idle stop screw on the throttle back. If that is all the way back and it still idles, you definitely have a vacuum leak somewhere.

If you can control the idle with the idle stop screw, turn this screw till the engine is barely running. Then plug the idle air control plug back in. It will probably rev way high when you do that, but go ahead and drive it a couple of days and let it try to work itself out. If you still keep having problems I would pull the idle air control valve itself off the intake and see if it's gunked up. You can try and clean it out and see if it works better. I ended up getting a new one for mine, you can still buy them, but they are not cheap.

88Rangersuperduty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Issue has been resolved replaced all vacume lines with new pulled the IAC gasket was trash replaced gasket cleaned IAC put it all back together no stumble no high idle thanks for the help!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Get the engine warmed up and then unplug the idle air control valve wiring plug on the intake. The rpms may drop. If they don't, turn the idle stop screw on the throttle back. If that is all the way back and it still idles, you definitely have a vacuum leak somewhere.

If you can control the idle with the idle stop screw, turn this screw till the engine is barely running. Then plug the idle air control plug back in. It will probably rev way high when you do that, but go ahead and drive it a couple of days and let it try to work itself out. If you still keep having problems I would pull the idle air control valve itself off the intake and see if it's gunked up. You can try and clean it out and see if it works better. I ended up getting a new one for mine, you can still buy them, but they are not cheap.
Messing with the screw on the throttle body is a bad idea under any circumstance except if youre adjusting a TPS.

@adsm08 can explain further

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Messing with the screw on the throttle body is a bad idea under any circumstance except if youre adjusting a TPS.

@adsm08 can explain further
This is a quote directly from the factory manual. "Don't touch this or else". Problem is, I doubt there is a Ford product on the planet with this screw, where someone hasn't messed with it. These trucks are old enough now, where we have to know how to adjust everything on it.

Same with some of the cars and trucks "this vehicle has a special coating on the throttle blade, no cleaning is necessary or recommended". You read that and then go out and inspect your throttle body and it has so much gook on it, it won't even close all the way.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
This is a quote directly from the factory manual. "Don't touch this or else". Problem is, I doubt there is a Ford product on the planet with this screw, where someone hasn't messed with it. These trucks are old enough now, where we have to know how to adjust everything on it.

Same with some of the cars and trucks "this vehicle has a special coating on the throttle blade, no cleaning is necessary or recommended". You read that and then go out and inspect your throttle body and it has so much gook on it, it won't even close all the way.
I get that. But that screw isnt really idle adjustment. Its TPS adjustment, the IAC soley controls idle. If you screw it in youre more less bypassing the IAC and just running it with the throttle plate cracked.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From what I've read in Ford manuals, that screw (throttle plate stop screw) is only for adjusting the curb idle at the factory (and has nothing to do with adjusting the TPS). It's not advised to adjust it as it is not as simple a procedure as turning an idle screw on a carburetor (see the page below for the procedure). The TPS is adjusted automatically by the ECM. I suspect that if you moved that screw you may have to clear the ECM so it could re-calibrate the TPS (but maybe not).

As the Engine/Emissions Diagnostic Manual shows, only a type C TPS is made to be adjustable, and the 2.9's don't have a type C TPS. Again, the ECM does all the adjustment. I've read here on these forums that some people advocate slotting the stock 2.9 TPS to "adjust" it, but I don't see how this is doing any good without disabling the ECM's programming to adjust it automatically.

20200322_105519.jpg
20200322_110106.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The computer considers the throttle closed when the tps reads anywhere from .59v to 1.22v. So long as you are in that range, it's good. This is what the computer uses to put the engine in a idle fuel strategy, and also for a deceleration strategy when you lift off the throttle at speed going down the road. So what some of the others are saying, if you turn the screw so the TPS is not sending the correct voltage at idle, it will tend to mess it up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals