• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L V6 Engine enhancements

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Thanks guys. I really am interested in the turbo option, but may also do the cooling fan conversion too. The alternator may also be a prerequisite for the fan mod, so I've added that to the list as well. I do prefer manual shift, but given what I've already invested in the trans rebuild, if the automatic will handle the increase in torque at the shift points, then I'll likely leave it in place. I'll keep an eye out for a manual just in case, to keep on hand for future conversion.

My motor is already rebuilt, more of a crate motor...stock as a rock using the heads from the old one if I recall. The heads were also sent off for rebuild. I have less than 5k miles since all of it was done.

I looked for the book... About $50 + shipping.

-Vern
Ill pm you a PDF of the book ??

Super easy one as well:

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm so into this. You've got another 2.9 guy (novice) wanting a bit more right here.

Last edited:

8788Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ill pm you a PDF of the book ??

Super easy one as well:

An electronic copy of the book would be great. Thanks!
I've set a search notification in ebay, so that when one comes up where the seller is either in the US, or is willing to ship internationally (I checked, and this one says they do not). I can hopefully snag it. I'll also check local salvage yards, etc..

-Vern

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. I will check that out.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Also, of.interest and relevance:

images (2).jpeg

I have a running build thread in the forced induction section on my supercharger build, "really, really bad forced induction idea"

For yall that do want to turbo, I HIGHLY recommend researching overseas for "2.9 12v Granada turbo"

Same engine also came in Sierra, Capri, and Scorpio

8788Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice. While looking for the 2.9 12v Granada turbo, I found this:

Unfortunately there's no build video or specifics as to turbo used, inter-cooler, etc. But does claim torque and boost figures of 765nm @ 1.45bar, which if converted to scales I understand best, is 564 lbs ft @ 21 psi boost. Not too shabby, but again, more than I need/want. There is enough video of the engine compartment to deduce general layout and placement of things.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Nice. While looking for the 2.9 12v Granada turbo, I found this:

Unfortunately there's no build video or specifics as to turbo used, inter-cooler, etc. But does claim torque and boost figures of 765nm @ 1.45bar, which if converted to scales I understand best, is 564 lbs ft @ 21 psi boost. Not too shabby, but again, more than I need/want. There is enough video of the engine compartment to deduce general layout and placement of things.
that's the one that inspired my descent.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Also, worth a read, and some useful photos.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That thread lead me to this site. When I signed up I PM'd the guy with the ranger gt to see if he still had the photos since they're blurred but it says he hasn't been active for a while.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I see all the pics except post #13.

8788Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After a lot of time spent looking at what others have done (YouTube, forums, etc.), it all seems to boil down to the following (please forgive any overstatement of obvious things):

- Opening up the restrictions to both the intake and exhaust. In short, get the engine breathing easier, thus increasing volumetric efficiency.
- Then reducing the secondary load(s) on the engine. By 'secondary' I mean things like power steering pumps, A/C, etc.. I am a bit skeptical of removing one (mechanical/hydraulic) thing and then adding a larger alternator to drive an electric motor. The question in my mind is one of efficiency gain or loss. There are electrical losses just due to resistance in cables, etc.. Are they really less than the mechanical losses?

At any rate, with all the above said, here's what I've decided to start with, and depending on noticeable changes in performance, move on from there:

1. Replace the factory exhaust headers with aftermarket pipes from Summit Racing (i.e., Pacesetter headers, 70-1118 or equiv ).
2. Replace the single throttle body intake with the one recommended by PetroJunkie when it is acquired. With this might include a move to a K&N filter.
3. Convert to electric cooling fans.
4. Move to a larger alternator if required by #3.

How does this sound so far? Appologies if the above seems to be overkill, but I'm sufficiently cognitively disordered to the point of needing to follow the above process; in order to be successful and move forward...

-Vern

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
After a lot of time spent looking at what others have done (YouTube, forums, etc.), it all seems to boil down to the following (please forgive any overstatement of obvious things):

- Opening up the restrictions to both the intake and exhaust. In short, get the engine breathing easier, thus increasing volumetric efficiency.
- Then reducing the secondary load(s) on the engine. By 'secondary' I mean things like power steering pumps, A/C, etc.. I am a bit skeptical of removing one (mechanical/hydraulic) thing and then adding a larger alternator to drive an electric motor. The question in my mind is one of efficiency gain or loss. There are electrical losses just due to resistance in cables, etc.. Are they really less than the mechanical losses?

At any rate, with all the above said, here's what I've decided to start with, and depending on noticeable changes in performance, move on from there:

1. Replace the factory exhaust headers with aftermarket pipes from Summit Racing (i.e., Pacesetter headers, 70-1118 or equiv ).
2. Replace the single throttle body intake with the one recommended by PetroJunkie when it is acquired. With this might include a move to a K&N filter.
3. Convert to electric cooling fans.
4. Move to a larger alternator if required by #3.

How does this sound so far? Appologies if the above seems to be overkill, but I'm sufficiently cognitively disordered to the point of needing to follow the above process; in order to be successful and move forward...

-Vern
Definately do not go with pacesetters 8f you can help it. They rust quickly and have fitment issues. Jba stainless are around 100 more, and are a perfect fit. Mine went on without issue.

I think someone has a set for sale in the classified section.

Highly recommend the electric power steering. Twnds to be a fairly large parasite on the 2.9. Lots of options out there including Volvo, Mazda, mini Cooper, Toyota Mr2, etc. Also,@BlackBII has a killer one.

The electric loading is far less than mechanical.

Definitely throw catch can on that list. 2.9s despise pcv gunk.

In my build thread theres a noticable evolution in my project. At one point, I had mine set up for fuel economy. Was getting 22-24 mpg highway in hilly Pennsylvania. Feel free to ask questions on anything you find in there.

Your trans is going to be your biggest remaining parasitic load. Depending on area, I have a few FM146 5 speeds here if you want one of them.

8788Ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Definately do not go with pacesetters 8f you can help it. They rust quickly and have fitment issues. Jba stainless are around 100 more, and are a perfect fit. Mine went on without issue.

I think someone has a set for sale in the classified section.

Highly recommend the electric power steering. Twnds to be a fairly large parasite on the 2.9. Lots of options out there including Volvo, Mazda, mini Cooper, Toyota Mr2, etc. Also,@BlackBII has a killer one.

The electric loading is far less than mechanical.

Definitely throw catch can on that list. 2.9s despise pcv gunk.

In my build thread theres a noticable evolution in my project. At one point, I had mine set up for fuel economy. Was getting 22-24 mpg highway in hilly Pennsylvania. Feel free to ask questions on anything you find in there.

Your trans is going to be your biggest remaining parasitic load. Depending on area, I have a few FM146 5 speeds here if you want one of them.
Thanks for the tip on the headers. I searched JBA's site, and found nothing. Not sure if they've discontinued them or ...? Summit lists two different headers, the one I mentioned earlier, as well as a "silver ceramic coated" version. I'm still looking through the classifieds, but so far not finding the ad you mentioned. Still looking...

I wasn't initially clear on what a catch can is, but understand it now, and will look into what's available, pricewise, etc. Will do some shopping around later this eve... From looking at descriptions I found on the web, seems like something a nerdy/handy guy could pretty easily build(?), but maybe they're cheap enough to 'why bother'...

-Vern

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals