• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L + Turbo = ?

Explosive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Guys think the 4.0L would take some boost ? My dad also has a B2, he's putting a 4.0 in it, and it's almost done, I always wanted a V8 swap, but if a 4.0 will produce power for less I'll just do that for the moment. And if it could handle a turbo, thatd be sweet.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
the bottom end will take plenty like 15+ lbs with good tuning. The head gaskets and stock oem heads are the weak spots. The headgaskets blow if you can upgrade those and the stock heads crack but there of course are aftermarket replacements that fix the cracking head problem.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
why did i have to open this thread? now i can't eat lunch for at least 3 more months while i fund my addiction for boost. lol

not quite yet but i have always thought bout turbo'ing my 2.9. i'm big into the 90-96 300zx's. could buy a pair of stock 48 trim turbo's off the stock 3.0 motor for cheap. could work well i think.

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No need for twin turbos. My 2.9 is fed by an IHI from a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I find that I don't like most turbo sizing formulas.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
if your truck is a 4x4 theres no need for twins. A single T3 feeds my 4.0 ohv just fine. 4x4s need torque not maximum hp. even twin t3s on a 4.0 will spool late in the rpm range where youll never be.

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i had thought about using the oil sender to feed a turbo, but the stuff that came out of my sender when i had it off was pretty damn disgusting, i wouldn't want to subject a turbo to that.
It was disgusting because it's a dead end when there is just a sender. But oil flows to the turbo on mine, so there is no build up. I also use synthetic.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've seen that pic. I wanted a more sanitary installation. I got it.

ANY motor is worth turbocharging. Are you a 4 liter snob?
The old saying is: "there is no replacement for displacement."

Or: "Cubes? Yes! Blower? Mabey..."

Turbo afficianados will claim a turbocharger replaces displacement but their arguement falls flat when you consider turbocharging a larger engine:)

If a 2.9 on boost would fit your definition of "good"
a 4.0 on boost could only be better.

But in either case if you wanted reliable power on boost the 2.3 has been extensively engineered and is proven to be sustainable.

Frankly if I wanted to do something extreme, I'd have a 2.9 crank machined
to fit in a 4.0 block and put it together with custom rods and flattop pistons.

this would create a 3.3liter V6 that would likely tolerate an awful lot of boost presuming the crank didn't break.

what would also work for low boost would be to put the
1993-94 open chamber heads on a later ('98-00) short block
this would reduce compression and create more boost tolerance.

while you can turbocharge any regular gas engine and run it on premim fuel the really evil genius way to do it is to build an engine that even while boosted will run regular gas.... just use a lot more of it....

Octane requirement is based on peak effective compression
The idea of making power is entirely a matter of how much fuel and air (properly mixed) you can pass through the engine.

AD

Last edited:

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Allan, long time no see. :wave:

The 2.9 was already in it. We turbo'd this Ranger as a proof of concept for the Merkur Scorpio, but again the people who said they wanted more power, and were willing to pay for it, were full of hot air.

At least I got a cool truck out of it!

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hey Allan, long time no see. :wave:

The 2.9 was already in it. We turbo'd this Ranger as a proof of concept for the Merkur Scorpio, but again the people who said they wanted more power, and were willing to pay for it, were full of hot air.

At least I got a cool truck out of it!
Dave? Is that you???

where you been?

AD

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, I've been around.

Think of you often. I guess the famous 2.9 ranger is gone and you have something new?

Lead Head

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of an old thread, but there is a guy on youtube with bone stock 2.9 (besides cam and ported heads) with a turbo in a ford capri pushing ~400+ HP. So these little 2.9s can take abuse, just not too many people seem interested in doing so.

rangerjoe25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
2.9 177cid built
Transmission
Manual
I just registered for the site but have been reading posts for a long time awsome info on here. I have an 87 ranger xlt super 4x4it has been under construciton for 3 yrs I had the tranny and trans case rebuilt then I put in a centerforce stage weighted racimg cclutch and throwout bering then I built the motor with forged pistons , moly rings, a little more lobe on the cam, mellings hv oil pump, the new style heads, 21lbds an hour injectors out of f150, msd hot coil , pacesetter headers to a true dual 2 1/2 super 40 flowmaster exaust no cats , and remote mount tfi, and am now i
N the process of doing turbo (colecting parts) any insight into this matter would be much appreciated never done a turbo before and I am definetly gonna try. Thanks

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No offense intended but I think you wasted a lot of money.

The clutch wasn't necessary. The forged pistons weren't necessary. I don't know how you are gonna control or use the injectors. The exhaust will almost all be scrapped if you go to a turbo, and if you don't, you've killed the torque by going to such a large exhaust system.

This is why I turbo'd mine. To build it normally aspirated it woulda been cantankerous requiring premium fuel and tuning that isn't possible without a replacement stand alone injection system. And then it woulda honestly made very little added power. And what would be added would be way up the power band, and not terribly useful.

The only non stock parts on my truck are an FMU, boost retard, fuel pumps, the turbo and turbo oil pump. Stock computer, injectors, clutch, pistons etc. My truck has like 190K on it. The cylinders are worn, but not ragged. The heads are new with necked down valves. That's it.

It makes PLENTY of power. And it is SO drivable. And if I drive it not like a madman the gas mileage is better! I got like 28 MPG going to Carlisle in a convoy.

It flies thru emissions testing too. Because when it is not in the boost, it is bone stock and in good mechanical repair.

My combo has been up here for years, and no one notices it or copies it. If anyone here had ridden in it, there would be 50 like mine. It's too easy, and works.

Like I said, it is completely ignored on the Carlisle showfield. I don't even take it there anymore.

rangerjoe25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
2.9 177cid built
Transmission
Manual
Well all I know is with the combo I have now its p pretty balz right now and the build allalong has beebeen to turbo iit . And I knw the exaust to 0ig I realized tjat after I put it all together thats y when I put the turbo on it its gettin downsized and I already have large fuel pumps in place with fuel management on the way and if ur gonna turbo something u should use forged pistons better longevity on motor well whatever the case may be its mine and nothin is a waste if u have an ultimate goal thanks for the input and the clu2ch was nessasary since the outher one came out shattered and sinceur in there go big or go home I bet u mine hooks up way better than ur stocker for same money

rangerjoe25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
2.9 177cid built
Transmission
Manual
But I do have a ? For u what is a boost retard and where can I get 1 if I need it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals