chadsworth2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No offense intended but I think you wasted a lot of money.

The clutch wasn't necessary. The forged pistons weren't necessary. I don't know how you are gonna control or use the injectors. The exhaust will almost all be scrapped if you go to a turbo, and if you don't, you've killed the torque by going to such a large exhaust system.

This is why I turbo'd mine. To build it normally aspirated it woulda been cantankerous requiring premium fuel and tuning that isn't possible without a replacement stand alone injection system. And then it woulda honestly made very little added power. And what would be added would be way up the power band, and not terribly useful.

The only non stock parts on my truck are an FMU, boost ******, fuel pumps, the turbo and turbo oil pump. Stock computer, injectors, clutch, pistons etc. My truck has like 190K on it. The cylinders are worn, but not ragged. The heads are new with necked down valves. That's it.

It makes PLENTY of power. And it is SO drivable. And if I drive it not like a madman the gas mileage is better! I got like 28 MPG going to Carlisle in a convoy.

It flies thru emissions testing too. Because when it is not in the boost, it is bone stock and in good mechanical repair.

My combo has been up here for years, and no one notices it or copies it. If anyone here had ridden in it, there would be 50 like mine. It's too easy, and works.

Like I said, it is completely ignored on the Carlisle showfield. I don't even take it there anymore.
Where can I find all the details of this turbo setup on your 2.9L GT ranger DCinDC?
I have a 87 Ranger with a 2.9L that has 326K miles on it. I purchased a remanufactured Long block which is waiting for me to have time to install.
My reasoning for considering a turbo... I daily drive this Ranger, its 4x4 and lifted with 32 inch tires, I have swapped the gears for 4.10. I axle swapped 94 front TTB in and 98 Explorer 8.8 already. However the old worn out 2.9 does not do well in the mountains. I live in Denver Colorado at 5280 feet above sea level and when I head up to the 4x4 trails I sometimes take I-70. when doing so, I have my foot buried in the floor boards in 3rd gear and barely have enough engine to keep 45mph.
My number one goal for adding a turbo is for improved highway performance on my way to and from 4x4 trails and the ski hills.
when off roading the current 2.9 l has plenty of low end torque to get me through the rocky and steep trail systems when I am in low range.

My thought are this...
1- I wait to swap the new engine in and do the fitup and testing of your turbo combo on the old worn out 2.9. This way if i break it.... I dont care so much
2-Install the remanufacture 2.9 and see if having a fresh engine gains me enough power back that I dont feel the turbo is necessary.
3- if I think the turbo is still necessary Id like to install something simple and in reasonable price range. Im not trying to blow the doors of stangs... I just want mid range power up here at my crazy elevation of living.

Is it possible to add the highway power without sacrificing to much of my low RPM torque?
Thoughts or Suggestions for this Or a Link to a Thread thats better suited for this question would be great.
Thanks all
If you're a Troll, Sinic, Or Otherwise negative Nancy.... Your opinions are not welcome