• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L turbo/engine swap

ShortwaveGnat03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys so I'm new to all this and have never done anything like to my car before, but I would like to start learning. So i have an 1989 Ford Ranger 2.9L and people have told I should do stuff to it, however people have given so many options I don't know what to do. So I would like it to accelerate faster and also whenever I drive to the beach I'm having to go uphill and in order to just be at the speed limit 55 I have to be pedal to the metal, so I would like to upgrade my truck in a way with that stuff in mind. What would you guys suggest? I would like a really cool but expensive option with also a less expensive but also good options.

Other information since I'm new to this forum. I bought the truck 4 years ago for $4000 with 98k miles on it from an older couple who took very good care of it so it was clean and wasn't a shitbox haha. This was my first car ever so I would like to keep it for as long as possible but still have fun with it. I also don't take it out doing crazy stuff because of it being in such good condition and I would like to keep it until it dies.

Attachments

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
A cheap trick is to find a throttle body from an 86-87 2.9......The 89' had a 50 mm TB and the older one is 58 mm.......a significant increase in size. I found a really dirty one, complete, for $20. It won't get you any appreciable HP but the throttle response is much better

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
The 2.9L like the 3.0L are gutless and like high RPM's to stay in there power range so drive it as so. A turbo or super charger would necessitate the use of a different PCM most likely an aftermarket one to be able to control spark and fuel management, quite a bit of work, not to mention the internals are not meant to take that much pressure so bent connecting rods are a possibility. Just thinking longevity with that.

I am not trying to steer you away from the idea but give knowledge before the project gets started. Hills suck in the 3.0L as well so I feel your pain.

What gearing do you have in the rear end? A swap to a 4.10 ratio could help but kill Highway fuel economy.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 2.9L like the 3.0L are gutless and like high RPM's to stay in there power range so drive it as so. A turbo or super charger would necessitate the use of a different PCM most likely an aftermarket one to be able to control spark and fuel management, quite a bit of work, not to mention the internals are not meant to take that much pressure so bent connecting rods are a possibility. Just thinking longevity with that.

I am not trying to steer you away from the idea but give knowledge before the project gets started. Hills suck in the 3.0L as well so I feel your pain.

What gearing do you have in the rear end? A swap to a 4.10 ratio could help but kill Highway fuel economy.
The 2.9 does much better down low then a 3.0 and overall feels more responsive except for maybe a 55-80 run.

Anyways...how steep is this hill? If youre floored to get up it i would first start by making sure the engine itself is healthy (compression check), and making sure the cat is healthy (vacuum gauge), then doing a full tune up and correcting any codes it throws before you go whole hog into a turbo.

Its possible and been done but slapping a turbo on if the thing needs rebuilt is only going to make more issues. Ive never found a hill i couldnt keep 55 up staying off the floor in 5th....unless i was towing something heavy, and then a quick drop to 4th usually solved that pretty quick.

The 2.9 is pretty gutsy given its size and the era it came from. Also curious...you automatic or manual?

But yes swapping to a 4.10 rear would absolultly give you more giddyup, im guessing you have 3.45's now.

I hate to mention this as im the 2.9's biggest advocate but as a last resort if your 2.9 is worn out, or youre still not happy with it after getting it in tip top shape the 4.0 is a pretty easy and common swap, espicially in a 2nd (89-92) gen.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
since your truck is an auto, i bet the best way to move towards faster starts and quicker climbs is to make it a stick. my truck (3.0 v6) is fun to drive because it is a stick. as an auto, it would probably be terrible and i would have already gotten rid of it

ShortwaveGnat03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.9 does much better down low then a 3.0 and overall feels more responsive except for maybe a 55-80 run.

Anyways...how steep is this hill? If youre floored to get up it i would first start by making sure the engine itself is healthy (compression check), and making sure the cat is healthy (vacuum gauge), then doing a full tune up and correcting any codes it throws before you go whole hog into a turbo.

Its possible and been done but slapping a turbo on if the thing needs rebuilt is only going to make more issues. Ive never found a hill i couldnt keep 55 up staying off the floor in 5th....unless i was towing something heavy, and then a quick drop to 4th usually solved that pretty quick.

The 2.9 is pretty gutsy given its size and the era it came from. Also curious...you automatic or manual?

But yes swapping to a 4.10 rear would absolultly give you more giddyup, im guessing you have 3.45's now.

I hate to mention this as im the 2.9's biggest advocate but as a last resort if your 2.9 is worn out, or youre still not happy with it after getting it in tip top shape the 4.0 is a pretty easy and common swap, espicially in a 2nd (89-92) gen.

I don't check stuff on my car I bring it to a family friend's shop, so I've brought my truck in for it to get completely looked at and they said it looks good. It has been awhile since I drove to the beach and on those hills but it's possible I was going a little more than 55 with the pedal to the floor I just mainly remember doing that just to avoid someone riding my ass super hard. Also yes my truck is a automatic. So with all that which do you think I should look into doing first, switching to a 4.10 rear or getting a turbo.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I don't check stuff on my car I bring it to a family friend's shop, so I've brought my truck in for it to get completely looked at and they said it looks good. It has been awhile since I drove to the beach and on those hills but it's possible I was going a little more than 55 with the pedal to the floor I just mainly remember doing that just to avoid someone riding my ass super hard. Also yes my truck is a automatic. So with all that which do you think I should look into doing first, switching to a 4.10 rear or getting a turbo.
4.10's

Looking into a manual trans swap would also benefit.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pull over and let ass riders pass...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Be cool to see a 2.9 turbo build.

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
I just finished my 2.9 turbo build. had to sacrifice a lot of fender liner, but the result is great. I have yet to get it on a dyno, so power numbers are unknown. I have a thread on here somewhere of the in-progress build. It's a completely stock engine with an upgraded fuel system and a standalone ECU to control it, and according to the math of my injectors and the duty cycle they run at at WOT, it's making ~240hp at the crank. You have a late model 2.9 in your truck so the heads should survive. Mine seem to be. The clutch, not so much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals