• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l top speed

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1988 ranger 4x4 with the 2.9l and a a4ld automatic. the fast as i could get it was going down hill and it went past 85 but i was only doing 4000 rpms. so is there anything i can do to make it faster? all i can think of is a good tune up change all fliuds and and change the plug wires and such.any other ideas or is this the fast as it will go? it has 31s and a 4.10 in the back.
And also when i let off the gas it declerates pretty fast kinda like something is holding it back any ideas on that? its not the brakes i checked them.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
I have the same Ranger as you and I can tell you that it is what it is... an 88 2.9 4X4 with 4.10's. THAT'S THE NORM. You can give it a good tune up so that you have a good foundation if you want to start adding some performance to your truck. You could go to a taller gear ratio to gain a little speed in the top end, but a chip is your best bet and the quickest gain for improving your trucks performance IMHO. And your deceleration sounds normal for an auto trans and 4.10 gears, I have to keep my foot on the gas going down hill our I will start losing speed pretty fast.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
New engine time!!!

RangerRyan

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0l,2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I got my lil 2.0l to do 87 MPH but that was going down hill with a C4 and 302 in the bed. I usually max out at 75.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know of a good chip then for my truck and what will it increase the top speed at all? Could you give me a link to one so i can take a look at one?

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
check these links=

http://www.jetchip.com/Shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?sppp=10&catID=1

http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Performance-Chips-/33597/i.html?Model%20Year=1988&Model=Ranger&Make=Ford&_nkw=2.9&_catref=1&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_fln=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m282

BEWARE of the ebay link above. The 2 chips shown on the bottom are just diodes they are not real chips.

Jett chips is the only one with auto trans. There not cheap, but definitely worth it, and they will help in the top end, but a gear ratio change is the best way to gain top end speed.
There are more company's that make chips for ford ranger's search Google.

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The drag is definitely something to check into, how are your MPGs? Check the throttle for slack in the cable too, might not be opening the throttle all of the way. But 85mph sounds about right, my stock all stock 2.9L w/ A4LD would struggle along at 80/85mph. I rebuilt and cammed the engine and burying it wasn't a problem after that. I've since gone with an AOD/5.0 combo and would hit 100 in 3rd with 4th to go still. I never pushed it that hard, though. I miss that truck already, but pulled the engine out to put it in a cleaner truck (87) and going w/ 5 speed manual this time.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
there no slack in the thottle cable i took all the slack up with zip ties and the motor is fairly built but maybe noot for the top end.am thinking i could bury the speedo with stock tires but i have got it a little over 85 going down hill.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your not going to gain much if anything with a chip

dangerrangerva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
i Have a 88 ford ranger stx model 3.73 gears i can get it top at bout 85 -90 and will still pull but fairly new engine. its been over hauled

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You want to increase the top speed of a 4wd w/ a 2.9L?

Push it off a cliff............

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
140hp gets used up pretty quickly, doesn't it?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
a chip won't help you...
nothing really with help you.
if you want more high end you could always go to a 3.55 or 3.27 gear ratio but that's gonna hurt your low end..
a 4.0 would help..

is that not fast enough? where is the speedlimit over 70 anyways?

look, i'm not saying this to be a jerk..
i'm saying this bc i've been there. unless your ready to drop MAJOR money into the 2.9, just leave it as it. i did the polish, cam, headers, bigger injectors, throttle body spacer, and chip on my 2.9... and was very dissatisfied!!! it was a WASTE of money. for less than i spent on all that stuff i got donor explorer w/ 4.0 complete, trans, t/case, and axles that i'm using on my b2. the stock 4.0 was better than the expensive 2.9 i built. sure you can get more out of a 2.9 than i did, but why???? a 4.0 swap was cheaper.. then i could use that extra money to build the 4.0 if i wanted...but there's no need in my case.

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you were wondering what it looks like inside one of the $20 'chips'....

Pretty ain't it.

dangerrangerva

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
If u got the money u could probly do anything u wanted to it but i personlly like the 2.9 havent ever had a problem with mine but the cooling system. everything else is fine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals