• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L to 4.0 swap

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im looking into finding a 4.0 donour truck i cant find one yet but how complecated is the swap is the 4.0 block much bigger then the 2.9 and can i use stock 2.9 wirring ?

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I did a 1989 2.9L to a 1996 4.0L. I changed everything. Harness. Brackets. Pulleys. Power steering pump. Exhaust. ECU. I really didnt reuse anything off the 2.9L.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's really the only correct way to do it.

Everything from the PCM to the engine harness to the cat.

All the emissions equipment has to go with it.

Are you sure this swap is legal in Canada? It's "gray" in the US (but usually possible if you go through the regulatory hoops). Canada is a bit more stringent about such things.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Mike,

It isn't at all "Grey" UPDATING to a newer engine in the same model vehicle is even legal in california, the only reason Cali makes you go to an emmissions referee is so he can VERIFY that you did it right.

In most of the rest of the country many 2.9 Receipient vehicles are old enough to be exempt from the visual inspection.
In the area where I live they don't even DO "visuals", hell where I live they don't do a "sniff" test either. it's kinda annoying because my truck will actually pass the 1994 emmissions standards, but nobody even tests....I go through all the effort to make my truck "legal" and nobody CARES.... Oh well...

The rules in Canada are likely different and he should check into it, but what year makes the best swap is variable on what year the receipient is.

If he has an '89-92 an engine from an explorer, '91-94 is probably best, there are SOME differences in wiring, if OTOH he's doing it to an '86-88 Ranger the job is considerably more complicated.

In ANY vehicle there are profound issues working with a '96 or later engine, this mostly due to the '96-up being EEC5 (some '95's are EEC5)

AD

Last edited:

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
actually where i am in canada i dont have any kind of emissions.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Then how about telling us what year the truck you want to do this swap TO is and we'll take it from there....

AD

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 87 ranger 2.9 . 5 speed manual. My donor is a 92 explorer 4.0 w/a4ld. From what I can collect from this site is that it will work.Just need to emulate the tranny sensors. I got my hands on a computer and the plug out of a 91 explorer 5 speed. Can I use the manual computer on the automatic harness? I currently have the complete dash out of the donor as I plan to use every bit of the donor harness possible.Iam really looking at the dash swap due to the insturments being in good shape. I know fab will be necessary. Am I opening a can of worms? Any help os appreciated.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Actually the transmission part of the harness on the 1990-1992
4.0 detaches from the main wiring harness with two connectors
that are approximatly in the same place the coil is mounted to
your drivers side inner fender.

The 1991 5sp computer will work fine with the 1992 4.0 engine.

What is the code number at the top RIGHT corner of the label on the computer?

I'mmjust curious because the 1993 Explorer 5sp computer is coded "ANY1" while
the 1992 5sp computer is "X2X2" and the 1994(SEFI) 5sp cpmputer is "YAM1"

I just haven't found a 1991 5sp computer.

AD

moto-Leo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is what I have. here is pretty much the tag layout for the 92 automatic

EEC-IV
W2E1
NPF 2D281
*92FAR138V8RP*
EFI MA35G
F27F-12A650-VB

Here is the 91 manual
EEC-IV
LOD
GSKT NPF 1B182
*9KPAR1532JRQ
EFI MA35G
FO7F-12A650-YA

I hope this helps.
What I plan to do is , using the harness from the 92 automatic. plug the the computer from the 91 manual shift into the 92 harness.
I got the 91 computer from pick and pull for 35 bucks and figured what the heck. never know until you try it. Does this sound doable?

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mike,

It isn't at all "Grey" UPDATING to a newer engine in the same model vehicle is even legal in california, the only reason Cali makes you go to an emmissions referee is so he can VERIFY that you did it right.

In most of the rest of the country many 2.9 Receipient vehicles are old enough to be exempt from the visual inspection.
In the area where I live they don't even DO "visuals", hell where I live they don't do a "sniff" test either. it's kinda annoying because my truck will actually pass the 1994 emmissions standards, but nobody even tests....I go through all the effort to make my truck "legal" and nobody CARES.... Oh well...

The rules in Canada are likely different and he should check into it, but what year makes the best swap is variable on what year the receipient is.

If he has an '89-92 an engine from an explorer, '91-94 is probably best, there are SOME differences in wiring, if OTOH he's doing it to an '86-88 Ranger the job is considerably more complicated.

In ANY vehicle there are profound issues working with a '96 or later engine, this mostly due to the '96-up being EEC5 (some '95's are EEC5)

AD
I'm confused. I want to put a '91 Explorer 4.0 A4LD in my '90 Bronco II. They are both 4X4 automatics. I have the donor truck to pull everything off of for the swap. Is it really neccessary to pull the engine harness? And if so, do I take it from the large connector on the drivers side firewall all the way to the ECU? Any help would bb greatly appreciated guys.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok, first you presume that thwe "wiring harness" is "all one piece"
or that there's only ONE.

when there are SEVERAL harnesses aht are all interconnected.

To swap a 4.0 from an explorer into a 90 bronco2 is one of the easier
4.0 replacing a 2.9 swaps.

The harness you MUST have is the one from the COMPUTER through the firewall on the PASSENGER side up to the power distribution box and to the engine.

The 4.0 does things a bit differently than the 2.9 which is where the complications live...

AD

VaGent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Bronco II
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, first you presume that thwe "wiring harness" is "all one piece"
or that there's only ONE.

when there are SEVERAL harnesses aht are all interconnected.

To swap a 4.0 from an explorer into a 90 bronco2 is one of the easier
4.0 replacing a 2.9 swaps.

The harness you MUST have is the one from the COMPUTER through the firewall on the PASSENGER side up to the power distribution box and to the engine.

The 4.0 does things a bit differently than the 2.9 which is where the complications live...

AD
Thanks for the reply & I understand it better now. A little old & slow but getting there. Do I have to have any of the wiring harness that runs around the back side of the radiator & over to the driver's side too or just the passenger side? And what about the MAF(?) sensor that is in the air tube going to the throttle body? Is that part of the wiring harness from the ECU on the passenger side? If I can get this wiring harness down correctly I am ready to start the swap. I have the whole donor truck to get anything I need but I don't want to pull things off it that I am not going to have to use.

I'm swapping out the WARN manual hubs on the donor to replace the electric ones on my Bii along with the front & rear springs. Mine is sagging exactly 1" in the back. The donor just happens to have a NEW 4 core radiator along with a complete NEW AC system from the condensor all the way to the evaporator with new blower motor on it.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'll suggest that if you are taking the wiring harness from the donor that you take EVERYTHING and discard what you don't need LATER.

There are some differences that can reach out and bite you.

Like if your patient has power windows and doorlocks the explorer wiring
is different and routed differently.

You'll also need the EDIS6 module that is mounted to the
radiator support just in front of the battery. (and the wire to it)
as well as the mass air meter and it's wiring.

The air cleaner box is also different.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals