• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L M5R1 swap into '91 4.0L A4LD 4x4 truck

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know that the 2.9 and 4.0 share the same bell housing bolt pattern. I would like to swap out the A4LD in my '91 4.0L 4x4 with an M5R1 from a 2.9L 4x4. Can I do this and keep my existing computer? What else do I need for the swap?
Here is what I'm working with:

1991 Extended Cab XLT
4.0L
A4LD
Electronic TC
Cruise control

Parts from 1991 donor vehicle:
M5R1
Manual TC
Flywheel/clutch

I'm pretty sure I have enough parts to complete the swap. My concerns are with the existing computer and how to handle the cruise control.
thanks!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't the 4.0 use a larger flywheel and different starter than the 2.9? Anything that hooked from the tranny to the ECM will have an error, not sure how many components and errors that would be. Make sure you have the speed sensor thing worked out if it was located in the old automatic.

One of the differences in the cruise was a added switch on the clutch pedal. I never worried about it, if I am dumb enough to push in on the clutch while the cruise is activated, I deserve what happens.

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Franklin2 Thanks for the response.
I did read that the 4.0 and 2.9 have different-sized flywheels. I find that strange since the bellhousing is integral to the tranny and therefore share the same bellhousing size. Does anyone know what issues I may encounter if I attempt to use the 2.9 flywheel on the 4.0? I'm guessing it simply wont bolt up...

I believe the ECU controls the OD in the A4LD but this won't be needed in the manual set up. Are there any errors that may prevent motor from starting?

Cruise control: Don't use it. Don't need it. I plan to disconnect it if it doesn't effect motor from running...

Clutch safety switch: How to handle the switch which cuts starting system until clutch is depressed? Is there a harness I can connect to if I have the pedal switch?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for the help.
kk

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I've done a similar auto to manual conversion, but mine was on a '90 Bronco II using a '90 Ranger for the donor (both 2.9L and 2WD). So close but not the same as what you're doing.

I did read that the 4.0 and 2.9 have different-sized flywheels. I find that strange since the bellhousing is integral to the tranny and therefore share the same bellhousing size. Does anyone know what issues I may encounter if I attempt to use the 2.9 flywheel on the 4.0? I'm guessing it simply wont bolt up...
The 4.0 had more power than a 2.9, so it has a slightly bigger clutch than the 2.9 (by 1", I think). As far as I know, you should be able to use either, but you'll need to use the parts as a set for whichever application you choose: flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder (this might be the same), starter, and the indexing plate between the motor and trans.

I'm not sure that if you change to the 2.9 starter if it will require any wiring reconfiguration (seem to remember some difference).

The flywheel bolt configuration should be the same between the year models you've got.

If you don't beat the truck too hard, using the 2.9 clutch would work, but all things considered keeping the original clutch setup would probably be better.

Clutch safety switch: How to handle the switch which cuts starting system until clutch is depressed? Is there a harness I can connect to if I have the pedal switch?
Yes. Just make sure that you keep the switch ("Triple Function Switch") on the donor's clutch pedal and master cylinder. There should be a connector for the clutch switch in the auto harness on your truck already, taped up above the pedals. It'll have a shorting jumper plugged into it for use with the auto; just unplug the jumper and then the remaining connector will plug into the clutch switch on the newly added clutch pedal.

The cruise control will still work if you install the triple function clutch switch.

The only other wiring that comes to mind, was the short harness underneath going to the transmission, for the reverse light switch. On mine all I had to do change out the original auto short harness for the donor's manual short harness.

I believe the ECU controls the OD in the A4LD but this won't be needed in the manual set up. Are there any errors that may prevent motor from starting?
From researching to do my swap, I believe that using your original ECU will still allow the motor to run, but you'll have a higher idle and a CEL from the computer not seeing the OD solenoids. Your best move would be to get an ECU for your engine size, year model, and same emissions. Not sure, but emissions may be just whether with EGR or without EGR. On mine the donor EM just plugged in with no issues, but again mine was 2.9 / 2.9.

Is there anything else I'm missing?
Grab the transmission tunnel floor plate from the donor. It'll be easier than hacking up the auto's solid floor plate. Don't forget about the rubber boot for the manual shifter.

Manual steering column can be swapped whole from the donor, or you can rebuild yours using the donor. Some people just remove the auto shifter, but it's not hard to make the steering column correct for a manual. If you go this route, also grab the blockout plate to cover the "PRNDL" indicator in the cluster (it goes in easy).

There's a ton of info here on TRS, which is easy to find using the "search" function. It seems that there's several posts or tech articles which cover upgrading a 2.9 to 4.0 clutch upgrade which may help you.

Hope this helps. If I'm wrong on anything, hopefully somebody will step in with better info.

Good luck!

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks RobbieD! Great info. It appears I have everything I need. My main concern was the flywheel/clutch interchange. The 4.0 thats getting the 2.9 clutch is tired and wont be beat on. I'm not looking for a perfect set up, just something to get from point A to point B around the island. It will never see the off-road. I will poke around on TRS to see if there are any other things I should be concerned with.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Have you seen this article? https://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May06/40_clutch_swap.shtml

Looks like you are doing what they are doing in the article, only in reverse. Since you have a 91, looks like it will all bolt up with the smaller clutch, smaller flywheel, and the 2.9 starter. There is something about a Mazda transmission though, you will have to figure that out with the block plate. The block plate is important, that is basically the only thing that is locating your starter. The starter bolts keep it from falling off more than holding it in the right position.

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have no issues in upgrading to the 4.0 flywheel/clutch. I would just need to chase down the 4.0 blockplate and flywheel (I have the 2.9 plate/flywheel). Unless the 4.0 automatic plate is the same as the manual plate...

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Actually, if I can use the blockplate and starter from the automatic 4.0 on the new manual setup, all I will need is a 4.0 flywheel. Ive seen em for like $60 brand new. No brainer...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I used a 2.9 M5OD-R1 behind the 4.0 OHV in my old '94 Explorer Sport - no modifications involved, just continued using the original 4.0 parts.

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Was the original 4.0 a manual trans or automatic A4LD?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Manual, that was just switching from a 4.0 R1 to the 2.9 version. Just clarifying that your swap details will just be the same as a regular 4.0 manual conversion. Nothing unusual because it's a 2.9 transmission.

Maui-sprint

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got it. After doing some more research looks like I can probably use the 2.9 flywheel and plate if I decide to go with the smaller clutch. If I go with the 4.0 (10-inch) setup, I will need to get the flywheel, plate, and new starter. Probably the way to go here.
thanks for all your help

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
the separator plate should be the same 2.9 vs 4.0 if memory serves me correctly

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
the separator plate should be the same 2.9 vs 4.0 if memory serves me correctly
You may be right. I just looked up a 1986 2.9 flywheel on rockauto and here are the specs;

Flywheel Diameter (IN)9.567
Flywheel Inner Diameter (IN)5.754
Number of Teeth138

I then looked up a 1991 4.0 flywheel and here are the specs;

Flywheel Diameter (IN)10.906
Flywheel Inner Diameter (IN)6.89
Number of Teeth138

Since they have the same number of teeth, the outer diameter would have to be the same? Looks like where it fits to the crankshaft is different, and the clutch surface is different?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
outside diameters are not the same, the starters are different, how the gear is clocked in relation to the mounting bolts was changed to accommodate the larger flywheel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals