• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l giving me a headache

Pix3L8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Spent a few hours cleaning every engine ground and PCM ground I could find. The result is my rear defroster now works again but everything else is the same. Will report back later once I test more of the electrical harness.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It definitely sounds like a computer issue. Try testing with the alternator disconnected... I’ve seen stray A/C voltage cause all sorts of untraceable issues.

Pix3L8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
update for you guys: im still trying to figure out this PCM or electrical issue but as some of you pointed out the fuel issue needs addressing too. I went over to the parts store and snagged a fuel pressure regulator. With the new regulator, the truck idled at 25psi, I'm assuming this new reg is bad. I put the old one back on and I'm back to 29-30psi at idle. However im still noticing a pressure leak after I turn the truck off, the psi will creep up to 34-35psi then over the course of an hour drop down to zero. I put in a new fuel pump and injectors this year. From my research last night on this return style efi system I have 3 possible leak points.
1. check valve in the pump assembly
2. injectors
3. diaphragm in the FPR

I am assuming that because both the new(bad) and old FPR gave me the same results as far as this pressure leak I can rule them out for the time being. I can also assume that because I have a new pump that is not my issue. now look, I know that replacing a part DOES NOT MEAN IT IS FUNCTIONAL, again this is just an assumption with very minimal diagnosis. I am assuming the pump is not my issue as I had THE SAME ISSUE with the old OEM pump but I will still test it. I need to pick up a set of t-fitting adapters for my pressure gauge and I have a new Schrader valve for the rail on order. Once I get these in a day or two ill continue to look into this.

my testing process will be as follows (let me know if this is logical)
1. use my gauge and t it into the pressure line so the fuel cannot return to the tank.
2. power up the fuel relay to deadhead the pump for a split second, this should allow me to isolate the pressure side only. if I don't get a pressure drop off then my check valve in the pump is working correctly.
3. connect my t to the return side of the line after the FPR and block off the return line after my tester again to test for leakage. If I am still seeing a leak then the ONLY place it could be going is out an injector (assuming the pump checks out OK).

Besides pulling the plugs and going in with a borescope I'm not entirely sure how to test which injector is leaking (if that ends up being my issue) because this isn't OBDII and I can't really break out the laptop. I assume I can look for an open ground in the injector harness which would mean a PCM issue but I don't think this will be my issue. If I cant find an open ground then I would assume that I have an injector that is mechanically stuck open......remember cyl 4 I talked about earlier with my sooty spark plug....hmmmm....the pieces are coming together now.

this is the method I think will work to diagnose my fuel system but let me know if I'm overlooking something. For years you guys have been saving my *ss on this truck so I'm curious to hear feedback.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals