• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 wont run

Klrkid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
1990 ranger stx 2.9
Was my grandmas truck, always had a hot start issue, found the pick up in the dizzy was bad, replaced whole unit truck refuses to start, quadruple checked the wires and rotor all is correct, has Good spark, Have tried with starter fluid no change will stutter then quit off the gas, then in flood mode will sputter some more then quits again, Plugs seem fouled after only one attempt at starting but no change when cleaned

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I've had similar problems multiple times when putting my distributor back on... Turns out, the rotor was facing the wrong way. You need to have all the spark plugs off, put a compression tester on cylinder 1, and manually crank the engine until the tester gives a pressure reading (signifying it's nearing tdc on the compression stroke). You'll want to make sure that the rotor in the distributor is facing the spark plug wire for cylinder 1. Put everything back together, and it should start and run well enough to get the timing light out and get the timing to the correct 10° btdc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals