• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 vs 3.0 tug of war.

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA6J7DW3ovk

Sweet vid. filmed at davidsfarm of an 86 2.9 vs an 04 3.0. They were equally matched for pulling, but the 3.0 was redlining whereas that tired old 2.9 was just taking it all in stride! Just more proof the cologne v6 owns the vulcan any day!

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yet another reason why you never pay full KBB for trucks on craigslist. Loved mullet man...... holy sweet jesus.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA6J7DW3ovk

Sweet vid. filmed at davidsfarm of an 86 2.9 vs an 04 3.0. They were equally matched for pulling, but the 3.0 was redlining whereas that tired old 2.9 was just taking it all in stride! Just more proof the cologne v6 owns the vulcan any day!
Try proof that hillbillies don't know how to drive?

Tug o war 101, first person to spin tires looses. Also, a 3.0 at redline makes poor torque. Dude doesn't know how to drive. You don't win at tug o war just by pinning the throttle.

If I was dumb enough to play tug o war with my truck (which I won't because it doesn't prove anything, too many variables) I would never rev it above 4k and would drop the revs every now and then to try to keep traction...

But fun video nonetheless... even though I only watched 30 seconds of it.

Last edited:

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, canadian rednecks at their finest. Rick, the guy in the 86, was using the rev-dropping technique. If you look through davidsfarm's videos, they have jumps, etc. done with this truck. They even rolled it. Still drives fine!

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Just can't kill a ranger :D

If I check out their other videos do they all have intros with the mullet dude?

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope. Just go to youtube.com/davidsfarm and type in ranger in the search box. Theres plenty of sweet vids!

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looked like a draw to me! I didn't see any ownage...
That 2.9 was 18 years older than the 3.0 and had 3 or 4 times the kilometers, and it still held its own.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well... all this and not to mention the fact that, while on gravel, you dig the spinning tire down and create your own little rut to overcome. Still cool tire smoke action none the less.

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2.9 is a LSD.In burnout vids. it spins both tires. Not sure about the 3.0 truck.

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Daves farm is probably the coolest place in Canada, from what I've seen anyway.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I don't see the point in the 2.9/3.0 argument. I have a 2.9 parked in my garage right now. I just resurrected it after sitting dead for two years because the cam bearings went out after 130,000 miles and it wouldn't make oil pressure. One used $50 2.9 block later and about 3 weekends worth of work and now it runs fine. I've also driven a few 3.0s. If you ask me, they both seem about the same. Neither one really has any balls (at least once you get used to the feel of a 300 HP 2.3T in a ranger). Both went 0-60 about the same as my 4.0 explorer, which is pretty much a big turd compared to anything that has come off of an assembly line in the last few years (3.0 rangers excluded).

And dragging contests are pointless, other than to just have fun. Under the right circumstances, with the right driver and tires, a 4 banger 2wd ranger could drag a 1 ton dually thru the dirt. As far as I'm concerned, winning a dragging contest proves nothing.

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What the hell did you do to your 2.3 t to get 300 hp. Also, how much torque does that sucker make? I dont consider this a thread jack, as it's my own thread!

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
What the hell did you do to your 2.3 t to get 300 hp. Also, how much torque does that sucker make? I dont consider this a thread jack, as it's my own thread!

Well it's probably closer to 250 than 300 but you get the idea. Basically what I did was take a ranger head and port the crap out of it and then install bigger valves. When it was done, it flowed 65% over what the stock turbo heads do. Beyond that it has a tubular equal-length header, a full 3" turbo back exhaust, a huge intercooler, and the boost cranked up to 17-18 psi (the turbo cars made about 205 HP on 15 psi) with the fuel pressure turned up 5 psi. I'm running out of injector at 18 psi. Four 35 lb/hr injectors come out to just shy of 300 HP mathematically, so I know I'm close.

This summer I plan to put megasquirt on it along with some 50 lb/hr injectors and a cam with more lift and overlap and then maybe 20 PSI if I can do it without pinging on 93 octane. It'll be past 300 at that point and then I'll need a better turbo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals