• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Turbo Project

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
2.9s are slow. In a truck application. If I owned an mx-5, it would get a 2.9. Very big British sports car vibes. But I don't, so here's my little solution to the 2.9 slowness.
PXL_20220630_001718638.jpg

Ebay turbo, generic t3/t4 sizing.
PXL_20220421_003009306.jpg

Ebay intercooler, way too big, but it fits my needs (and fits between the frame rails quite nicely)
PXL_20220630_001731029.jpg

PXL_20220630_001736660.jpg

Hot side crosses under the truck from the factory y-pipe, under the frame rail and will tuck along what's left of my fender liner to the turbo. outlet will follow a similar path. Surprisingly, the piping will clear the suspension and wheel at full compression, from lock to lock, with reasonably large 285's.

Fuel system:
  • Ford taurus SHO 3.2 injectors, should support roughly 240bhp at the crank. Well within what I expect.
  • Walboro 255lph pump from a local swap meet.
  • upstream pump bypass/delete, stock replacement filter
Ignition system:
  • Stock coil, cap, rotor, wires. NGK heat range 7 Iridium plugs gapped at .020
  • Vestigial TFI, used only for the PIP signal, direct coil control from an MX-6/Probe turbo coil igniter
  • Microsquirt (module only) wired to an EEC-IV Connector in the original ford PCM box. a DIYPNP if you will.
Other:
  • 160 thermostat
  • ebay TIAL knockoff wastegate with a 10lb spring
  • AutoMeter analog wideband
All that's left is to move the battery to where the airbox originally sits to give me room to run the passenger side intercooler pipe, and go out and tune it. As long as most teething problems have been avoided with my preemptive work.
PXL_20220723_192112262.jpg

Bonus pic of my slow car being pulled by my other slow car.

Last edited:

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
Welcome to TRS
Nice project, will be sweet to see the end results

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

JerrySab

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
dude this thing sounds mean as hell

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Here's the photo dump of the function-over-form turbo setup. After finally getting a chance to log a bit I found out it's only pushing about 6.5-7psi. I may have the wrong half of the wastegate connected to the intake. And i'm already maxing out the taurus injectors, I have a set of chevy 3800SC injectors I'll install, just need to adapt them to fit the fuel manifold. They should be somewhere in the 32lb range. And i'm updating my wideband setup to a 14point7 controller with no gauge. Figured I'd just tune it through the ecu and hook the check engine light up to light if AFR is too far from the target, to save space on the dash.
PXL_20221022_213648278.jpg
PXL_20221022_213658131.jpg
PXL_20221022_213703980.jpg
PXL_20221022_213729249.jpg
PXL_20221022_213734558.jpg
PXL_20221022_213811897.jpg
PXL_20221022_213818867.jpg

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
It's been a minute, I've made some more setup changes.
PXL_20230510_232951653.jpg

As of the past 4 months, I've had a boost controller installed, set at 15psi. Along with associated 750cc Injectors. No issues to report from the engine, even in daily driver service. I've even towed cars on my flatbed to Virginia and back multiple times at this level, with no temp, or mechanical issues. At about 12-13, the distributed ignition system reaches it's limit, and breaks up even with really cold plugs gapped at miniscule measurements, so I've installed a Stinger performance CAS kit (originally intended for use on 2.3s, direct bolt on fit!) and rewired the ECU for wasted spark, using a coil from DIYautotune. It will technically fit a lot of early '00s Chrysler products, including a viper, but the coil density internally is way overkill.
PXL_20230510_233037845.jpg

PXL_20230510_233050767.jpg

Although, I have been chasing a breakup issue. Near redline (6000 limiter in my case) it breaks up. Definitely ignition related. Acts as if it's 'blowing the spark out', but I've got an incredibly strong coil pack, plus 8mm wires and a plug gap of 0.020, and it happens both with TR7IX iridium NGKs, and BR7EF coppers. I haven't really put that much effort into trial and error with gaps, I've tried 0.030 and smaller, and at 0.030 it's worse, but at 0.020 and smaller it makes no difference. Hoping any 2.3T guys and some more research on my part can help with that. EDIT: Decided on a whim to up the gap to stock. 0.045, I think. Problem is solved. Goes against everything I've read, but it seems the 2.9 likes it.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
It's been a minute, I've made some more setup changes.
View attachment 92226
As of the past 4 months, I've had a boost controller installed, set at 15psi. Along with associated 750cc Injectors. No issues to report from the engine, even in daily driver service. I've even towed cars on my flatbed to Virginia and back multiple times at this level, with no temp, or mechanical issues. At about 12-13, the distributed ignition system reaches it's limit, and breaks up even with really cold plugs gapped at miniscule measurements, so I've installed a Stinger performance CAS kit (originally intended for use on 2.3s, direct bolt on fit!) and rewired the ECU for wasted spark, using a coil from DIYautotune. It will technically fit a lot of early '00s Chrysler products, including a viper, but the coil density internally is way overkill.
View attachment 92227
View attachment 92228
Although, I have been chasing a breakup issue. Near redline (6000 limiter in my case) it breaks up. Definitely ignition related. Acts as if it's 'blowing the spark out', but I've got an incredibly strong coil pack, plus 8mm wires and a plug gap of 0.020, and it happens both with TR7IX iridium NGKs, and BR7EF coppers. I haven't really put that much effort into trial and error with gaps, I've tried 0.030 and smaller, and at 0.030 it's worse, but at 0.020 and smaller it makes no difference. Hoping any 2.3T guys and some more research on my part can help with that. EDIT: Decided on a whim to up the gap to stock. 0.045, I think. Problem is solved. Goes against everything I've read, but it seems the 2.9 likes it.
TFI starts having problems at that rpm range as well, found that out with MS. Not sure if you're still on TFI; haven't read yet.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
TFI is long gone, using wasted spark atm with a Bosch igniter controlled by the MS.
Interesting. I didn't consider that route with mine. I was looking into ways to convert a 4.0 edis over and run it with the ms

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Interesting. I didn't consider that route with mine. I was looking into ways to convert a 4.0 edis over and run it with the ms
I really wanted to at least use the crank & cam sensor from a 4.0 but with how the reluctor is cast into the damper I can't just bolt/weld it onto a 2.9 damper. And there's no easy way to convert to a serpentine belt without ditching a belt driven P/S and figuring out a reverse direction water pump/belt route that drives it correctly. That and Edis adds another layer of complexity that's less known than just using the ECU to control a basic igniter. And if I had the money to I would have just used an ECU that can drive the coils directly. I'm actually looking into a crank sensor setup at the moment, might be machining teeth onto a new damper. Once I save up for a mill.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I really wanted to at least use the crank & cam sensor from a 4.0 but with how the reluctor is cast into the damper I can't just bolt/weld it onto a 2.9 damper. And there's no easy way to convert to a serpentine belt without ditching a belt driven P/S and figuring out a reverse direction water pump/belt route that drives it correctly. That and Edis adds another layer of complexity that's less known than just using the ECU to control a basic igniter. And if I had the money to I would have just used an ECU that can drive the coils directly. I'm actually looking into a crank sensor setup at the moment, might be machining teeth onto a new damper. Once I save up for a mill.
Power steering is easy - Volvo EPAS pump wired in. I run it on mine. Love it.

The old euro supercharger builds used... something. I can't remember what, precisely. But there was a way to convert them. May have been the DOHC pump, but can't remember.

kodogtwh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Power steering is easy - Volvo EPAS pump wired in. I run it on mine. Love it.

The old euro supercharger builds used... something. I can't remember what, precisely. But there was a way to convert them. May have been the DOHC pump, but can't remember.
I wonder if the DOHC engines even use a similar pump. Don't they use a timing belt setup? either way the cover is vastly different. I've also looked into the volvo pump, once I get around to installing and rewiring a beefier alternator and move the turbo to the passenger side of the engine bay (to use the scorpio intake as well as actually have an exhaust out the rear of the truck) I'll do something like that. Might even use an MR2 pump, as that's also pretty common.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals