• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 4.0 swap

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
i have located a 93 explorer with the 4.0 and auto trans, i have noticed a few differences in the wiring with things such as the 4 wheel abs giant connector, i have a 1990 ranger, is this a good candidate for my swap in the future and if so what are the ins and outs of this specific swap? and yes i read all of the threads on this site about it but people don’t seem to mention the abs connector and things of that nature, what all will i need from this vehicle to make it work.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Into a '90? I'd be trying to find a '90 4.0 harness and roll with it. (91 and 92 should be really close too.)

However, knowing how hard that could be. It should be possible to adapt your existing harness if you're good with diagrams and multimeter.

If you alter, you'll need at least the connectors for EDIS and MAF. Could have to change O2 connector? Maybe even add one to use the 93 computer.

Also 93 can be wired for SFI or batch fire, with or without CPS. Just some thing to look for. A 92 computer would eliminate the CPS, SFI, and second O2 worries. It didn't have any of that.

Last edited:

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
Into a '90? I'd be trying to find a '90 4.0 harness and roll with it. (91 and 92 should be really close too.)

However, knowing how hard that could be. It should be possible to adapt your existing harness if you're good with diagrams and multimeter.

If you alter, you'll need at least the connectors for EDIS and MAF. Could have to change O2 connector? Maybe even add one to use the 93 computer.

Also 93 can be wired for SFI or batch fire, with or without CPS. Just some thing to look for. A 92 computer would eliminate the CPS, SFI, and second O2 worries. It didn't have any of that.
what about a 92 explorer, i found one near where my dad lives at pull apart, 4wd 4.0, dunno if it’s auto or not, would this fit the bill better? pretty sure this didn’t have 4w abs or any of that other junk

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
92 Explorer should be close. I want to say I had gotten an Explorer harness once though and it was too different but I don’t remember what year. When I was converting my 89 Bronco II from 2.9 to 4.0 I ended up getting a harness out of a junk Ranger, 91 I think it was, had to splice a couple wires because the plugs were different. Unfortunately I didn’t do a good job of labeling harnesses and now I have a couple sitting around that I don’t really remember what they were from.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You won't use the 4WABS so that part of the wiring harness won't be used, its not connected to computer but to a separate 4WABS module and fuses/grounds
Your 2WABS wiring will stay connected

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
You won't use the 4WABS so that part of the wiring harness won't be used, its not connected to computer but to a separate 4WABS module and fuses/grounds
Your 2WABS wiring will stay connected
that is awesome ok. i also found a 95 ranger with 4.0 4wd and 5speed, bad fuel pump and won’t start so the guy is selling for 400$, is this a good candidate??

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, wrong computer, 1995-2011 Rangers used the 104-wire EEC-V computers, OBD2
1990-1994 used the 60-wire OBD1 computers

You can do it but will be quite a bit of extra wiring, and will have EGR system, cam sensor and extra O2 sensor

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
ok i found an
No, wrong computer, 1995-2011 Rangers used the 104-wire EEC-V computers, OBD2
1990-1994 used the 60-wire OBD1 computers

You can do it but will be quite a bit of extra wiring, and will have EGR system, cam sensor and extra O2 sensor
i found a 94 ranger 4.0 auto 4x4, i see the difference now, it has the same interior as my truck but different exterior, and has buckets + center console so i can snag those too, hoping to get it for 4 or 500, also, would a m5r1 from a 95 truck be fine for swap into my 90? it’s the 4.0

Attachments

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
For manual transmissions, it’s a good one. Just replace the shift rail plugs before you put the trans in.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
For manual transmissions, it’s a good one. Just replace the shift rail plugs before you put the trans in.
got on recently, i can’t wait to put it in and i’m 100s sure it’s been rebuilt because it has the plugs in the shift rail, rtv in a couple of the hard to find gasket spots and shows no characteristics of a 105,000 miles trans, this was a fricken steal dude. also what does each of the connectors do? there is a red one on one side and another one on the other side that has a connector coming off of it? i’m assuming it’s reverse lights and NSS? which ones which?

Attachments

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Explorer wiring can be used but it’s a lot of work, mainly because of how the wires are ran for the fuel pump/tail lights/etc in the rear of both vehicles. In the end there are only like 8-10 wires you need but sorting through those and finding the correct ones and then attaching them to what exists already will take a lot of time. If you can find a 4.0 Ranger engine/dash harnesses, you will save yourself a lot of time.

I did a 4.0/manual swap in an ‘89 Ranger and used a 94 Explorer with an auto wiring harness as a donor… it worked quite well but I definitely had a good week of comparing harnesses before it all came together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals