• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 swap to 4.0 clutch

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
Ok so everything is done but I can’t find a 4.0 starter block. Anyone know where to get one? Will that fix the alignment of the starter so it works? The mechanic burnt through two starters already because the it won’t line up properly.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The manual trans 4.0l block plates are hard to find now

Are you using FM or TK trans, or the M5R1?
I think the 2.9l block plate works if still using the FM/TK, just need to open up the starter hole a bit, according to this article: https://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May06/40_clutch_swap.shtml

The 2.8l and 2.9l did have starter motor shifting around issues, problem of course is the torque required causes starter to shift, tight block plate hole prevents that
I have read of people using shims INSIDE the bolt holes so starter couldn't shift positions, like coke can thin metal or thicker, on one side

The bolt holes in the starter are larger than the bolts, of course, but too large and starter can shift even if bolts are tight, so shims inside the holes prevent the shifting of the starter housing

Last edited:

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
I’m not sure but he says it’s not a Mazda transmission

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then the 2.9l block plate can be used, just need to open up the starter hole a bit, but not too much or starter will shift positions

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
Then the 2.9l block plate can be used, just need to open up the starter hole a bit, but not too much or starter will shift positions
You think that’s the reason it’s eating starters. He cut the hole to big so it won’t seat properly?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe, not there but you are :)

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you are eating starters I would suspect maybe you are using bolts and not starter bolts which have a thick shoulder that will snugly fit the holes in the starter. If the bolt is too long the shoulder will bottom out against the threaded hole and not secure the starter.

The starter for the manual is different for the automatic and if you install an automatic starter in an manual or visa versa, you will break them. I proved this to the manager at O'Reilly's by measuring the depth of the nose when mounted and that they were providing the wrong (this case a manual for an automatic) starter for the 3.0. I had this issue too with my 2.8L.

What I have done in the past for bolts that loosened up, despite being the correct ones, is get extra long bolts and secure them where they came out of the back of the housing. Sometimes you have to position the nut, hold it with an open end wrench, and screw the bolt in to secure it.

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
They cut plate wrong, swapped it out for a 4.0 and it sounds clean and drives like a beast now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals