• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Randomly dies and cranks/no starts.

Wheeze08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone! So I've run into a bit of a random dying and crank/no start issue with my '86 Ranger XL 2.9 4x4. If the truck is cold, it'll start no problem. But if it's been driven, it's a 50/50 shot of it wanting to start, or just cranks. Starting with the stalling/dying issue. I could be driving, doing any speed, and the truck either shut off and fire back up like I've just turned the key off and on again, or it just die out all together and I have to coast to a stop and hope it turns back on. It's also just started stalling while at idle a couple days ago. Once it gets warm, it may or may not shut off. And the crank/no start issue follows after being run. It will crank and just not start and if you wait an amount of time (seems between 10 to 30 minutes) it'll fire up no problem (as if it was cold). Or if it does start after a long crank, it seems to sputter start. The high pressure fuel pump runs, and it gets fuel pressure so I don't think it's that or the inertia switch, and I'm replacing the IAC on it most likely tomorrow. I also read it could be the TFI/ICM? Or even MAP Sensor?

Things that have been replaced (since I've owned it):

Main tank low pressure fuel pump (has 2 tanks) - 1 yr ago
Distributor cap/rotor/plugs/wires/coil - 1.5 yrs ago
Fuel pressure regulator - 1 yr ago
TPS - 1 yr ago
Starter Solenoid - 1 yr ago

That's all I can remember right now, for anything that pertains to it running properly that I've replaced. This all started back in May/June of this year. Starting to go a stir crazy on this one, so any help really at this point is welcome. Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention it's an automatic trans. A4LD.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Id bet on a TFI. They can cause all kinds of weird shit.

Scan it for codes see whatcha get

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, it does read like classic TFI module issue
When they heat up the spark drops off

While driving you have the fan and air flow in the engine bay
When you stop and shut off the engine, the engine bay warms up, from exhaust temp and engine temp with no cooling
If it gets warm enough the TFI module drops spark
So waiting 30 min or so lets it cool down a bit and work again
It gets worse over time, more heat sensitive

There was a member here a while back that put some ice in a bag in an ice chest and went for a drive 30min I think, then shut off engine for 10 min and then tried to restart, no start
Put the bag of ice against TFI module, waited a couple of minutes and it started right up, lol

But I would just replace the TFI module on speculation

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Agree on TFI but.... I had very similar symptoms caused by a loose connection at the high pressure fuel pump on the frame rail. The connector had expanded over time, a simple squeeze with with pliers and bending the locking tab back in place resolved the issue. When I say loose I mean loose. I reached up to pull the connector to check for voltage and the wire fell off. I think that it had come completely off the tab and the boot was holding against the tab.

So while I agree the TFI is most likely the problem, I also think you should check the fuel pump connections first because it's fast, easy and free to do.

It broke down again and would not restart after sitting for over an hour one really hot summer night a block from a Ford dealer, when the tow truck showed I had them take it there. I was thinking TFI and it was too hot for me to do at home and should be affordable for them to do it. For three weeks they tried to figure it out. They knew it was a fuel problem as they could see the pressure drop but they didn't know the cause. It was very intermittent. It would run for hours one day and only minutes the next. They said they would replace both fuel pumps for $1100 but they would troubleshoot no further to determine which pump it was. I had it towed to my house and I found that loose connector in 15 minutes after they drove it off the tow truck. Two tow bills a diag fee at the dealer and half a tank of gas used up troubleshooting for a no cost fix :(

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
If not the TFI it could be the pickup coil in the distributor. I had to replace more than one. Same symptoms. Dirty

Westep1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have been having a similar issue with my 86 2.9l I can start it first thing in the morning and run it for a good while but then the truck will die as if a switch was flipped. Once or twice when I’ve gone to restart it nothing will happen, the starter won’t crank, nothing. But if that doesn’t happen And you go to restart it it will just turn over and over. I can let it sit there for a few minutes and then it will start but only run for a few seconds. I’ve replaced distributor, TFI module, map sensor, coil, spark plugs and cables, ECM. https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/truck-goes-out-of-timing-oddly.188189/#post-1791970

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals