• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Oil Filter Thread Insert

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Last two times I changed the oil on my 1987 ranger the oil filter thread insert came out with the old filter. Both times I had a really hard time getting it back in far enough without marring the threads. If it doesn't screw in far enough then the filter gasket doesn't make contact with the block and the new oil will gush out when you start it up. Ask me how I know.. Happened the first time the threat insert came out. Second time I was really careful making sure the gaskets made contact, even sent my boroscope camera up there to see if there was a gap. There was the first 2 times I screwed the thread insert in. 3rd time I definitely messed the threads up a bit while tightening. The Filter went on but felt sort of stripped, never got super tight. I've been running it and its not leaking but I promised myself I'd pick up a new thread insert before the next oil change and figure out how to properly install it so it never comes out with the filter again. Anyone know where I can buy the insert and how do I install it without marring the threads? Thanks!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Chase the threads... use a cut off wheel to make two notches on the insert the use a straight edge tool to turn the insert until seated. Clean up the threads again to ensure filter spins on freely.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive never heard of this happening

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Also, I thought there was an internal hex cut into these that would fit a 7/16” allen socket, but I’m not seeing it picture on the eBay listings. Without that, you could use two nuts, tightened against each other, then run in the bottom but to tighten it down:

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Also, I thought there was an internal hex cut into these that would fit a 7/16” allen socket, but I’m not seeing it picture on the eBay listings. Without that, you could use two nuts, tightened against each other, then run in the bottom but to tighten it down:

Good idea, I'll see if I can find some nuts that would fit once I find a new thread insert. I'm still not sure where to find one.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good idea, I'll see if I can find some nuts that would fit once I find a new thread insert. I'm still not sure where to find one.
Did you click on the eBay link I posted? There are three separate listings for the part.

RustyDusty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Did you click on the eBay link I posted? There are three separate listings for the part.
Sorry, I totally spaced on the rest of your comment after reading the idea with the two nuts. I'll purchase the one you linked to and use it to find some nuts that fit so I'll be ready for the next oil change. I appreciate it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals