• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 not idleing right

albertabronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well i have a 2.9 the motor runs fine under load but the minute its down to idle it runs very low rpms and sputtery and sometimes stalls. it also stalls when its a quick deceleration again load to idle condition there are no vacuum hoses disconnected or cracked. still have to see if the lower intake manifold is loose but i doubt it. i was thinking it was a iac problem as per might need to be cleaned or adjusted as well as tps altho i cannot figure out where these sensors and valves are if someone could post a pic of the engine back and where these are it would be great. thanks

fordzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hey man im having a problem with my 2.9L when u first start it up it runs rough stalls and puttery but after about 5 minutes of running it runs like new clears up its weird im not sure wut could be the problem

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Though I don't have any pics, I thought I might explain the location of these sensors to you. Open the hood, and stand on the passenger side looking at your engine. The IAC is on the upper intake manifold, and will have what looks like a metal pill bottle on it. It will have a wiring plug going to it and two bolts holding it to the upper intake. I remove this, and remove the two screws holding the "pill bottle" which some call a motor, though it seems to be more of a servo. Take a can of carb cleaner and soak the inside of the main body of the IAC. Use a pipe cleaner or something simular and clean it out real good, flushing it with carb cleaner and brushing again. Also, press on the end of the plunger to open the "valve", and clean the mating surfaces. An air blower will help to make sure all the carb cleaner is evaperated before reinstalling it.
As for the TPS, it is on the same side of the engine, on the throttle body, on the opposite side of the TB from the throttle cable. This is something I'm not sure if you can really clean, but it's worth inspecting while you're under the hood. Just check the wires and make sure it isn't sticking. But I would think if it were sticking, you would have a high idle. Also check your base timing, mine was off by about 8 degrees and it would stall from time to time. Another thing you might check is the MAP sensor, which is located on the firewall, above the heater box, and has a single vac line running from the upper intake to it. Remove the vaccum line and plug it, and if it runs the same, this could be your problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals