• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 losing power after 15 mins

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I shouldnt have but i bought a set of chinese cheapos of ebay. 60 bucks for 6 and theyve worked great. I bought the cheapos cause i didnt know if it was gonna fix it or not.
Thinking of doing that as well. I think the injectors are slightly easier to get to than the in tank fuel pump. The high pressure pump in the frame rail is already new as well as the fuel reservoir in the frame rail. So that leaves injectors and/or in tank pump.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thinking of doing that as well. I think the injectors are slightly easier to get to than the in tank fuel pump. The high pressure pump in the frame rail is already new as well as the fuel reservoir in the frame rail. So that leaves injectors and/or in tank pump.
Injectors are pretty easy. Just remember the two bolts hidden behind the drivers side valve cover. I didnt know they were there and in a fit of rage bent my fuel rail into oblivion.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I think I mentioned this before, but a long time ago the Ford dealer had a little machine that they could check the injectors with. They did it for me and charged me about $40 and I stood there and watched them do it. That was a long time ago, don't know if they still have the little machine or not. It haad these glass graduated cylinders that would measure flow rate, and they could fire it manually and watch the spray pattern.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I think I mentioned this before, but a long time ago the Ford dealer had a little machine that they could check the injectors with. They did it for me and charged me about $40 and I stood there and watched them do it. That was a long time ago, don't know if they still have the little machine or not. It haad these glass graduated cylinders that would measure flow rate, and they could fire it manually and watch the spray pattern.
Yeah they don't do that anymore, they want to sell you over-priced Chinese re-manufactured garbage. I asked my aunt a couple weeks ago if they had the machine to do that, they don't, they just throw parts at stuff, they don't waste time cleaning anything.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yeah they don't do that anymore, they want to sell you over-priced Chinese re-manufactured garbage. I asked my aunt a couple weeks ago if they had the machine to do that, they don't, they just throw parts at stuff, they don't waste time cleaning anything.
Go to the junkyard and cut an injector plug off any vehicle that will plug into the 2.9s injectors.

Pull off the fuel rail and injectors then hook the postive side of the plug to a battery, and have a buddy hold the ground, put gas in the rail and hold an air hose into the rail for pressure, then ground the injector plug out.

The injector should open and spray fuel, mine had 2 injectors that barely trickled when i did this.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Go to the junkyard and cut an injector plug off any vehicle that will plug into the 2.9s injectors.

Pull off the fuel rail and injectors then hook the postive side of the plug to a battery, and have a buddy hold the ground, put gas in the rail and hold an air hose into the rail for pressure, then ground the injector plug out.

The injector should open and spray fuel, mine had 2 injectors that barely trickled when i did this.
Interesting diagnostic procedure I'll definitely be doing that. Looks like a pain in the a** to get everything off just to get to the injectors....stupid engineering ideas again LOL.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Interesting diagnostic procedure I'll definitely be doing that. Looks like a pain in the a** to get everything off just to get to the injectors....stupid engineering ideas again LOL.
Thats what i thought too. Its not as bad as it looks. The biggest bitch is getting the valve cover off to get the two hidden bolts if you got AC. First time i yanked the upper plenium it took 30 minutes max.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
As I wrote above, I got a rebuilt set of Bosch original injectors for $58 delivered .... through CS Performance Fuel Injectors (https://www.cspinjectors.com. Can't recommend them enough, they clean and rebuild them, new seals etc and flow-match. For less than the cost of one new one.
It stands to reason that after all these years parts like these can be worn out, but still 'sort of' function. I am currently working on a '86 Nissan 300ZX which had some issues from sitting for the past 18 years. For the fuel system I dumped a container of Chevron Techron injector cleaner in the tank and I swear that is helping as it is going through the system. So that's always worth a shot, on my modern car I do that once a year since I noticed it has a significant effect on the fuel consumption.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
As I wrote above, I got a rebuilt set of Bosch original injectors for $58 delivered .... through CS Performance Fuel Injectors (https://www.cspinjectors.com. Can't recommend them enough, they clean and rebuild them, new seals etc and flow-match. For less than the cost of one new one.
It stands to reason that after all these years parts like these can be worn out, but still 'sort of' function. I am currently working on a '86 Nissan 300ZX which had some issues from sitting for the past 18 years. For the fuel system I dumped a container of Chevron Techron injector cleaner in the tank and I swear that is helping as it is going through the system. So that's always worth a shot, on my modern car I do that once a year since I noticed it has a significant effect on the fuel consumption.
When the issue started in my Ranger on the way home the day I bought it, then found out that it had sat untouched for about 4 years I dumped 4 bottles of cleaner in the tank it hasn't done anything LOL....I assume the injectors are just crap from sitting, and going through all the work to test them its not worth it, replacing them is far more reasonable than pulling everything apart to test just to put the old ones back in. I'll test them when I tear into it and keep the good ones if there are any LOL.

I searched that website but gave up after about 12 pages of searching, they're page layout well doesn't have any sort of organization and the search function is useless. Found a set for $50 on ebay and I'll be ordering them...but till I get them ordered and they arrive I'll wait to tear into anything...lord knows the moment I do I'll need to use the truck for something LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals