• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Injectors?

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused:Hey fellas I just pulled the motor on my 91 ranger it's a 2.9, I went to the junk yard and bought a better 2.9 out of an 88 Bronco. I put the motor in it lines right up everything is good so far, but this morning I was trying to finish it and came to find that the injectors are different colors, they don't match. Do you have any ideas as to how I can fix this or maybe a diagram as to how they should be hooked up, I really didn't take the injectors into consideration on this I figured it was a 2.9 it would work but I guess I was wrong. Any help is truly appreciated, as always THANKS alot for your time and help... :icon_thumby: :icon_cheers:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If they go in the hole and plug in they will work. Lots of guys put bigger injectors in. The injectors from certain 5.0s and 4.6s work on the 2.9 but are different colors. I'm running black ones from a 4.6 (I think) in my Ranger and the stock orange-ish ones in my B2 (again I think. Guy I bought it from said it was bone stock, but the whole engine bay is mud brown).

If you still have those injectors out grab one and swing by, I'll take a look. I still have the ones from my 87's original engine and they are good as far as I know.

Last edited:

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Yeah but I was wandering don't they have to be in a certain firing order to run, or will they just be certain shapes for each injector or so on... I thought the colors were gonna have to match to make sure the firing order was right, IDK maybe I should spend some more time looking at it huh...:yahoo: :icon_thumby:

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Different injectors won't affect the firing order. Just different flow,and the holes the gas comes out may be different. If the connectors are the same and theyre the right lenght, I'd let it eat :icon_twisted:

Screech1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, and 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 (Both)
Transmission
Manual
Alright it's starting to make sense, but I think I should have been a little more clear:icon_idea: I'm having a problem with the wires that hook to the injectors, (sorry I'm not very bright). Does that work the same way just plug them in and their good to go or do they have to be in a certain order themselves, IDK now I'm starting to confuse myself:bawling:. I unhooked the wires and the ones from the Bronco are different,:icon_idea: wait can I just pull the injectors from the old motor and put them in the new one :yahoo:. The colors will match then, LMAO :icon_rofl: Sorry my brain just kicked in. :icon_bounceblue: Thanks for the help...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, you can pull your old injectors.

It does matter which order they get hooked up in, but the wires should want to fall back in place. The one on the very end of the injector harness is #1, then it should go 4, 2, 5, 3, 6 as you move back the harness.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad