• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Coolant Hose Routing Diagram

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does a coolant hose diagram exist out there somewhere? I'm trying to adapt the more simple Ranger coolant hose routing on my Scorpio.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is an upper and lower radiator hose

Then 2 heater hoses, one from water pump, the other from intake manifold near thermostat, if thermostat is on upper rad hose, not all are

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, that helps. The Scorpio has a different front timing cover with coolant through it as well as a water-cooled oil cooler at the oil filter. I'd like to delete all that as well as the heater control valve (that one is easy).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can't delete coolant hoses, per say

You can loop them, like heater hoses, but the coolant must flow from one port to the other so engine doesn't over heat
The radiator is for EXTRA heat dissipation, the smaller hoses are for circulation, these need to be connected

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Understood you can't just go deleting/capping off hoses/fittings without an understanding of where the coolant needs to flow. For reference, I'll attach a couple pics of the Scorpio front timing cover. The Ranger doesn't have this hose and outlet fittings at all, right? And note the capped off fitting. This was not capped off on the '88 but was capped off on the '89 as shown here.

ScorpioBypassHose-1.JPGScorpioBypassHose-2.JPG

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that looks like the water pump bypass hose which is used all the time but more so when engine is warming up before thermostat opens

Heater hoses are often connected to these ports, but there would be no "Heat valve" on the heater hose, heater core would always have flow thru it
In later years Ford added a By-pass valve on the heater hoses(has 4 ports), so the flow was maintained but could be diverted around the heater core, it was only used in MAX AC setting

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm elbows-deep into this project now which will involve converting to the Ranger 2.9 front cover which does NOT have the bypass fitting. What I'm trying to sort out is what to do with the water fitting/hose on the driver side of the intake, as shown previously and again below on the subject vehicle (a Merkur Scorpio 2.9).
Does the Ranger have this fitting? If so, is is blocked off or is it perhaps plumbed directly to the coolant bottle?

Cologne29-Hose.jpg

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
After further research, I'm finding that the Ranger 2.9 lower intake doesn't have this nipple like the Scorpio 2.9. So I guess I need to either find a Ranger 2.9 lower or just cap this off.

Scorpio29-Nipple.jpg

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
After further research, I'm finding that the Ranger 2.9 lower intake doesn't have this nipple like the Scorpio 2.9. So I guess I need to either find a Ranger 2.9 lower or just cap this off.

View attachment 78753
I've got an entire Ranger 2.9 you can HAVE, if you come get it

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've got an entire Ranger 2.9 you can HAVE, if you come get it
Thanks, but I already have a spare one. I just capped off that nipple and moved on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals