• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Camshaft Prototype

camchero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My name is Camron, and I've been in contact with ColtCams. They say that they would be interested in making an aftermarket cam for the 2.9 I just wanted to get on and see how many people would actually be interested in this product. They say it will have higher lift and duration, and are 99 percent sure it will work with the stock computer. ColtCams just needs to be sure there is a market before they start tweaking and working out a new cam for 2.9's.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like spam

And 2.9s are pointless to put money into. Make one for a 4.0 and make it cheaper than Summit.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Shot down!!! Ohhhhhhh!

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea the 2.9 isn't really worth putting money into.... But if a 4.0 swap just isn't in the cards for your truck then maybe a little won't hurt.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
It would be nice to have that option.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
They've been making cams for the 2.9L for a long time. The cams they make are not that expensive considering what they're making it for, and it's best to work with them on the cam profile anyway. If you're going to make a custom cam, might as well have it made with your set up in mind. One cam does not fit everyone.

IMO the market for an engine discontinued in '92 plagued with head cracking problems and oiling issues is not going to have a worth while market in 2012 for a "one-fits-all" camshaft. Camcraft offers RV cams that a computer friendly, they don't even advertise them anymore on their web site, but I always still refer people to them. And colt. Not a lot of aftermarket and it's an "arm and a leg" for parts. Anymore it is better (and usually cheaper) to just upgrade to something that is newer, more displacement, and a lot bigger (and cheaper) aftermarket.

Last edited:

camchero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is not spam. Probably came to the conclusion from a lack of spelling and grammatical errors. I just think that a lot of people don't have the money for a swap, and upgrading the 2.9l is an only option. I just think it would be pretty cool to have another cam option out there for a slight performance upgrade. Don't put the idea down if you don't support it. I was asked by the owner to get an opinion. That's it. Thank you

capriroadracer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Another 2.9L Cam Option

Not to be mistaken as a shill for a cam grinder, but I just got a cam from Steve Long Racing (SLR) Cams in Calif. for my yet-to-come-together 2.9L carb'd engine. I doubt it is computer-friendly; this engine has 3 carbs and a distributor (for now) and 1.6:1 roller rocker arms. Yes, it's a one-off oddball for an old oddball car. But I suspect - I don't know for sure - that SLR can grind a cam that will work for someone who chooses to play with the 2.9L engine.

Attachments

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Roller rockers?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Don't put the idea down if you don't support it. I was asked by the owner to get an opinion. That's it. Thank you
I know this a few months old, but since somebody brought it up.

What do you mean dont put the idea down?!?! You wanted opinions, you got one! So its either, say you'll buy the cam or dont say anything?!?!?

capriroadracer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Roller Rockers for 2.9L (was Cam Options)

I've been experimenting with roller rockers made for the 2.6L and 2.8L Ford "Cologne" V6s on a new World Products 2.9L head, though it could be done with any 2.9L head.

I've milled the sides of the stock cast aluminum rocker shaft pedestals to allow the rocker arms to line up better over the valve tips. (I've gone this route because the guy who makes the roller rockers pretty much refuses to make arms for the 2.9L engine because of the increased offset and poor arm-to-valve orientation on the 2.9L. Seeing how bad the alignment is, I can't blame the guy.)

I've replaced the hex head bolts with allen head cap screws to allow the pedestals to be milled enough for the arms to line up over the valves. I'll either have a portion of the allen head cap screws' shanks milled to allow for proper oil routing, or I will further mod the pedestals with an oil distribution groove or two. A small o.d. AN-grade flat washer will be fitted to reduce galling of the pedestal top.

The real test of whether this works will be to see if milling the stock cast pedestals weakens them to the point of failure. I'll build the first engine as a street-going guinea pig. If the milled stock pedestal idea is worthy of just the trash can, I'll have pedestals milled from billet aluminum. My few fellow conspirators in this madness are suggesting that steel pedestals would remove all doubt about integrity, but we'll see if we have to go there.

The accompanying photo might better explain what I am doing. The front assembly has not-ready-for-prime-time pedestals made from billet aluminum. The rear assembly has stock cast Ford pedestals with lots of milling done to the sides. Once I have the pedestals milled so the arms are where I want them I'll have aluminum spacers made to keep the arms in place.

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
To the OP; I would say this would be a niche market. I would be interested because of class rules.

Richard

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've been experimenting with roller rockers made for the 2.6L and 2.8L Ford "Cologne" V6s on a new World Products 2.9L head, though it could be done with any 2.9L head.
That's pretty cool! No idea they made roller rockers for the 2.6 & 2.8L engines.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
There freaking awesome! I'd love to see them when your done.

CROW T. ROBOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my yet-to-come-together 2.9L carb'd engine.
Are you using the intake from Burton? Just for fun I ordered a catalog from them (took like 2 months to get over here to Alberta) and they have got some dang nice parts for the colognes!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals