• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9-3.0

Spacesuitrudi

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have an 88 Bronco II with the 2.9 with a blown head(there is coolant in the oil and the year is notorious so I'm just assuming) but I have a rebuilt 3.0 someone gifted to me. How difficult is the swap and is there anything different I have to watch for?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

You don't want the 3.0l Vulcan engine as a replacement, sell it, and use the money to rebuild your 2.9l with 1989-1992 heads
Or
Get a 1990-1994 4.0l Ranger that's rusted out but still runs
The 2.9l became the 4.0l, so 4.0l just bolts in, same motor mounts and same transmission bell housing
But you need the computer and engine wiring harness, along with some engine bay parts(all of which you would need for a 3.0l swap, as well)

2.9l is 140HP
3.0l is 145HP
4.0l is 160HP

3.0l Vulcan was a very reliable engine, no question about that, but under powered for its time
4.0l OHV is also very reliable, and has better power, and torque

If you really want to use the 3.0l then find a 1991-1994 3.0l Ranger that you can get engine bay parts from and computer and engine wiring harness
Also need the distributor and spark system if your 3.0l was a 1995 or up model
AND.......3.0l transmission and motor mounts
Trans need to match manual or auto, and 2WD or 4x4, what you have now in the BII, I think BII all were 4x4 transmission even if its a 2WD, they had the empty transfer cases

Spacesuitrudi

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Welcome to the forum

You don't want the 3.0l Vulcan engine as a replacement, sell it, and use the money to rebuild your 2.9l with 1989-1992 heads
Or
Get a 1990-1994 4.0l Ranger that's rusted out but still runs
The 2.9l became the 4.0l, so 4.0l just bolts in, same motor mounts and same transmission bell housing
But you need the computer and engine wiring harness, along with some engine bay parts(all of which you would need for a 3.0l swap, as well)

2.9l is 140HP
3.0l is 145HP
4.0l is 160HP

3.0l Vulcan was a very reliable engine, no question about that, but under powered for its time
4.0l OHV is also very reliable, and has better power, and torque

If you really want to use the 3.0l then find a 1991-1994 3.0l Ranger that you can get engine bay parts from and computer and engine wiring harness
Also need the distributor and spark system if your 3.0l was a 1995 or up model
AND.......3.0l transmission and motor mounts
Trans need to match manual or auto, and 2WD or 4x4, what you have now in the BII, I think BII all were 4x4 transmission even if its a 2WD, they had the empty transfer cases
It is 2WD, but it does have the empty transfercase. I was just considering the 3.0 because it's free. I want to go 4.0 long term and I plan to rebuild the 2.9, but I'm just trying to get it to run for now. I have a baby due within the next few weeks so I'm trying to not have to spend a bunch of money until I absolutely have to. I appreciate all the advice yall can give!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Problem is you HAVE TO get a new 3.0l 4x4 transmission, no way around that
There are no adapter plates, so money would have to be spent on that, if its an automatic then usually alot more money
And of course the motor mounts

You "might" be able to get the 3.0l running with the 2.9l computer, assuming 3.0l has its distributor, and you do the "remote mount" TFI module using the 2.9l TFI module

Spacesuitrudi

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Problem is you HAVE TO get a new 3.0l 4x4 transmission, no way around that
There are no adapter plates, so money would have to be spent on that, if its an automatic then usually alot more money
And of course the motor mounts

You "might" be able to get the 3.0l running with the 2.9l computer, assuming 3.0l has its distributor, and you do the "remote mount" TFI module using the 2.9l TFI module
This is the answers I'm looking for. I don't know a lot about engine swaps, so this is actually telling me a lot

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals