• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8L Power? Why is my rebuilt 2.8L so slow...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the distributor is from the 70's or early 80's- actually it has to be to be pre EEC- the centrifugal advance curve is almost certainly retarded. You'll need a set back timing light: after you do the adjustments already mentioned, unhook the vacuum advance and slowly increase the rpm while watching the timing advance with your light. Most Windsor V8's like the advance to be all in by 2800 or so, my 77 Mustang wasn't all in at 4000 until I fixed it. There are 2 springs that control the advance below the base plate in the distributor, one stiff one that will not be under any tension when still, and a lighter one that will be under tension. You can rotate the engine and see the tabs that hold the springs through a rectangular hole in the base plate. Try bending the tab slightly looser for the light spring and repeat the advance test, then try the stiff spring tab. Unless you're really lucky, it will take a few tweaks to get it right. I have run into times when I had to replace the existing springs to get what I wanted or remove the upper section of the distributor shaft and rotate it 180 to change the total amount of advance. It will take some patience but you'll like the results.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals