• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8L Exhaust Manifolds/Headers - Source?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I'm finding that exhaust manifolds for the 2.8 V6 seem to be hard to come by. Does anyone know of a source or alternative? I'd prefer the stock cast iron manifolds but would go with headers if that's my only choice. TIA.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You are pretty much out of luck for most things for the 2.8. Thankfully we can get waterpumps and various gaskets and most rebuild parts. I am thinking that is only because there was a lot of them made over in Europe.

If you do a search on the internet, you will run across some old 15 to 20 year old posts on various boards. Most of the links and part sources no longer exist. I have to disagree with one I read though, where that guy said exhaust modifications won't make much difference. I was messing around with my exhaust, and found out the intermediate pipe from my 86 ranger fits right up to the y-pipe on the 2.8 and takes place of the cat convertor. I ran it that way for awhile, but inspections was coming up so I had to put the cat back on it. I definitely can tell the difference with the cat on it. It doesn't rev as willingly as it does without it.

Have you looked at the exhaust gaskets for the 2.8? They look like they would be easy to make out of 1/4 steel using a hole saw. I thought it would be a nice project to make my own headers.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Hmm, boy, this is a concern. I've been in contact with the race team that rebuilt the 2.8 for my truck (standard rebuild, no performance mods). They recommended to stick with the stock exhaust manifolds. Since they race old Capris, none of their header kits would work on the Ranger. And, all of the exhaust sources mentioned in the Tech Library no longer make headers for the 2.8. There's a science to headers so you just can't whip them up out of tubing (as I'm sure you well know). Sh!t.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
There is no science to most headers you buy for the street. They just make them so they fit. Only the race guys make equal length stuff that is tuned and you would not want to pay for those headers. But of course the point is mute on the 2.8. Where are these capri headers? Maybe they can be modified to fit.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Team Blitz in Ohio.

But, I do not see headers in their on-line store. I've sent them an email and am waiting for a response.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Bronco648,

When I was originally researching Ford 60°V6 headers, I was sent to "RacerWalsh Company". There website currently says to call about header options .)

I know that Edlebrock made a Tubular Exhaust Set (TES header) for the 2.8l that was VERY highly rated.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
@gaz Thanks!

I've heard of Racer Walsh and know the Edelbrock girls (sorta - they were vintage racing GT-350s when I was). I'll go check Google.

UPDATE: Edelbrock hasn't made any 2.8 exhaust related product for 10 years. Racer Walsh was helpful but its supplier stopped making the 2.8 headers, too.

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Hopefully they are nice fielding support questions but I was thinking more in the used market: Craigslist, eBay...in good shape ..)

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
They were nice about, yes. The issue with CL and eBay is that the search engines return lots of static. So, you have to weed out the crap. But, it's a start. Thanks.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Follow-up: Car-Part.com to the rescue! Found left & right exhaust manifolds at a recycling yard 40 miles north of me. Cheaper to have them shipped than to go pick them up (go figure). Whew!

#Brumbey1!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 bronco2
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm finding that exhaust manifolds for the 2.8 V6 seem to be hard to come by. Does anyone know of a source or alternative? I'd prefer the stock cast iron manifolds but would go with headers if that's my only choice. TIA.
Try partsgeek.com thats where I got mine.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
After market parts for this engine seem few and far between. I had headers crafted to fit the motor inside my MGB, but the maker is no longer around.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hi, i might have a set of stock 2.8 manifolds in my barn from a truck i tore apart a few years ago if you need them.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
hi, i might have a set of stock 2.8 manifolds in my barn from a truck i tore apart a few years ago if you need them.
Thanks Angie. I may have a line on a pair of manifolds closer to home but I'll keep you in-mind if that falls thru.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals