• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8L engine rebuild and wiring harness project

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
So, This will be my first engine rebuild ever and first time working with wiring harnesses.

My 2.8L had the horrible feedback carb and has a lot of horrible wires just all over the engine and under the hood.
I am wondering what I need to do about it. Like, How would I rebuild it or obtain a new harness? Im wanting everything to be simple and clean. Im removing the PS, AC, and smog pump system. So only a alternator/generator.

I couldn't find anything about getting a new harness. I would also need a new lights, dash, and ignition harness.

I do plan on doing this engine rebuild hopefully soon but Im trying to get my engine to run as is as long as I can while I save up the money for the rebuild kit. Any tips on that and what I should upgrade? I was already planning on doing a duraspark conversion for a better system.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Hard to be specific without seeing what you have, or knowing what electrical problems (if any) that you're having now. For what it's worth, though, just doing the Duraspark conversion will let you eliminate a lot of stuff. I have an '84, too, and did the Duraspark. This first picture is everything that was permanently removed:

The distributor is not shown, and I kept the 2150A carb and converted the feedback control solenoid (it's at the top).
A second harness, mainly for the ignition and a few sending units, gets removed:

And reworked to this:

That would be the basics, to get your rebuilt engine (or engine as it is now) up and running.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd focus on getting the rebuilt engine running with the Duraspark, and then afterward assess where you're at with rest of the electrical system. Trying to do everything at once may be overwhelming, versus planning, and doing, things in easier-to-handle steps.
Another bit of advice I can give you, is to start looking on eBay for a 1984 Ranger EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual). It'll be worth every penny that you spend on it.

Good luck!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
So, This will be my first engine rebuild ever and first time working with wiring harnesses.

My 2.8L had the horrible feedback carb and has a lot of horrible wires just all over the engine and under the hood.
I am wondering what I need to do about it. Like, How would I rebuild it or obtain a new harness? Im wanting everything to be simple and clean. Im removing the PS, AC, and smog pump system. So only a alternator/generator.

I couldn't find anything about getting a new harness. I would also need a new lights, dash, and ignition harness.

I do plan on doing this engine rebuild hopefully soon but Im trying to get my engine to run as is as long as I can while I save up the money for the rebuild kit. Any tips on that and what I should upgrade? I was already planning on doing a duraspark conversion for a better system.
You will find out quickly there is not much out there for a 2.8 equipped ranger or Bronco II. These are not like mustangs or camaros or 55-57 chevys where you can buy anything you want. Part of the reason why I am assuming you got it cheap correct? 2.9 and some of the later engines are not as bad, but time is marching on, and those engines were obsolete years ago. The onyl saving grace for the 2.8 and the 2.9 is they were popular overseas also.

I also recommend you do a duraspark II swap. You can then get rid of the computer and a bunch of that underhood wiring and vacuum lines. The rest of the harness you are going to have to patch yourself, or find a used one in a used bronco in someone's backyard. Yes, they are getting harder to find in junkyards also. They are not going to let something like this sit around too long before it get's crushed.

Last edited:

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
You will find out quickly there is not much out there for a 2.8 equipped ranger or Bronco II. These are not like mustangs or camaros or 55-57 chevys where you can buy anything you want. Part of the reason why I am assuming you got it cheap correct? 2.9 and some of the later engines are not as bad, but time is marching on, and those engines were obsolete years ago. The onyl saving grace for the 2.8 and the 2.9 is they were popular overseas also.

I also recommend you do a duraspark II swap. You can then get rid of the computer and a bunch of that underhood wiring and vacuum lines. The rest of the harness you are going to have to patch yourself, or find a used one in a used bronco in someone's backyard. Yes, they are getting harder to find in junkyards also. They are not going to let something like this sit around too long before it get's crushed.
I did get it cheap haha. 900 bucks. It was running great. Ran great for a year and still runs decent but its starting to show its age and I just wanna do a full rebuild and clean up of the engine bay. Since you really don't see these first gens on the road anymore and mine has VERY little rust. Ive also fallen in love with it haha. I got the truck knowing it had issues and got it as a driving project... My brother and I both have 84 fords. he's got a 5.0 LTD and Ive got the ranger haha.

I cant find a real true manual for rebuilding these engines. I already sourced a shop for the machining and a rebuild kit. Id like to buy a remanned engine but like you said. These are getting harder and harder to find and so are the remanned and the ones that are there are pricey.

Unless you know of a way to get a 2.9, 3.0, 4.0 engine to run without the computer BS and just the duraspark and a 2 barrel carb. (I hate ECUs and computer stuff) Since I can get a 3.0 or 4.0 engine on rock auto cheap but idk about in air and spark part. Since I know they are built for drop in and plug in applications (That is you swap your intake, valve covers, oil pan and other stuff it doesn't come with. Which might be a main for getting motor mounts and a oil pan for my truck. Ive heard they use the same bell housing bolt pattern..

Last edited:

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is an option to buy a long block from Team Blitz.

They build and race the 2.8 in capris. They know a lot about them too.

@Everlearn bought one of there long blocks not long ago. Might ask him about it.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
There is an option to buy a long block from Team Blitz.

They build and race the 2.8 in capris. They know a lot about them too.

@Everlearn bought one of there long blocks not long ago. Might ask him about it.
Ive read about that on here but when I go to their site I could only find parts. No built engines. Unless you are talking about using them for knowledge...

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ive read about that on here but when I go to their site I could only find parts. No built engines. Unless you are talking about using them for knowledge...
They build only a few months a year. I got the last one of the 2019 season. Email blitz@teamblitz.com and ask. When they get a bunch built they go up on eBay and their site.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
They build only a few months a year. I got the last one of the 2019 season. Email blitz@teamblitz.com and ask. When they get a bunch built they go up on eBay and their site.
How dare you! Im joking... Cool, I didn't know that at all. If you dont mind me asking, How much was a built engine from them? Do they do cores or anything like that so they can take the old one and rebuild it? Im sure thats one of the way they get new rebuilds.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He has a warehouse full of cores, so no he doesn’t want. Mine was $1600 out the door but I picked it up. Perfectly reasonable given how they build. Shipping depends on where you live. Gotta be by truck, weighs 350 lbs. They’re in Columbus, OH. You can go on-line & get a freight quote.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
He has a warehouse full of cores, so no he doesn’t want. Mine was $1600 out the door but I picked it up. Perfectly reasonable give how they build. Shipping depends on where you live. Gotta be by truck, weighs 350 lbs. They’re in Columbus, OH. You can go on-line & get a freight quote.
Thanks! Thats an awesome price!!! Compared to what ive seen online. Like Ive seen 1700-2K. 1600 is a great price! IMO.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They use top quality parts, full machine job, very professionally done. Somewhere in one of my posts is a list of what all they do. They’ll do minor stuff like a mild cam, etc. if you get it ordered before building. I bought already built so I’ll put the cam in myself. Soon hopefully but it looks like my woodworking hobby is about to go pro, just landed a huge contract to build tables for a restaurant chain. So much for retirement.......

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
They use top quality parts, full machine job, very professionally done. Somewhere in one of my posts is a list of what all they do. They’ll do minor stuff like a mild cam, etc. if you get it ordered before building. I bought already built so I’ll put the cam in myself. Soon hopefully but it looks like my woodworking hobby is about to go pro, just landed a huge contract to build tables for a restaurant chain. So much for retirement.......
Awesome! So when you said you ordered/bought already built. You'll put the cam in yourself. What do you mean by that? Dumb question but that kinda confused me.

Also, congrats on the woodworking job!

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here’s their standard build:
  • REMANUFACTURED 2800cc V6 Cologne Motor!
  • 2.8L Six Cylinder Long Block built to tough Ford OE specifications.
  • Carefully assembled and machined to ensure long service life.
  • Complete Rotating Assembly, internally balanced, timed, and ready for dressing. Bored, honed, line-bored, decked, milled, and multi-angle valve job.
  • All new KS Pistons, Rockers, Push Rods, Camshaft, Lifters, Valves, Springs, Metal Timing Gear Set, & Bearings.
  • Latest OE Spec Ford Germany 171cid motor, with Big Journal Cam, HD Webbed Block, Filleted Crankshaft.

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome! So when you said you ordered/bought already built. You'll put the cam in yourself. What do you mean by that? Dumb question but that kinda confused me.

Also, congrats on the woodworking job!
They build using a stock cam. If you want something else, they can do it during the build you pay extra. My long block had already been built, so I’m gonna pull out the stock cam and put in a stage 1 from Comp Cams before I install the motor.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
They build using a stock cam. If you want something else, they can do it during the build you pay extra. My long block had already been built, so I’m gonna pull out the stock cam and put in a stage 1 from Comp Cams before I install the motor.
If possible, could you post a photo of the engine? Id like to see how it looks and such. Also, PM me if you hear when they start building them. Since Ill have to save a good chunk of change for this engine!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals