• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8l Cylinder Head Bolts?

Project84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey TRS,
I have been looking everywhere for some head bolts for my 2.8l V6 and can't seam to find any. Already tore apart the engine only to find out that no stores here in Amarillo have any traces of the bolts. Need my truck back and running fast!
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 2.8, 2.9 and 4.0 share a head bolt. Fel-Pro makes them, but I know guys who have had issues with the Fel-Pro ones not staying tight.

They are still available from Ford too, and priced similarly to the Fel-Pro ones.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.8 does not use a torque to yield fastener, you can reuse your existing bolts (unless they're in bad shape or someone decided to torque them to yield.

There are several listings on eBay for Ford 2.8 head bolts.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My book shows three steps 40-51-85 for the 2.8 but the 2.9 and 4.0 are torque to yield.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 2.8 does not use a torque to yield fastener, you can reuse your existing bolts (unless they're in bad shape or someone decided to torque them to yield.
Some 2.8s might not, but I'm pretty sure the later ones (the Ranger ones) did. The 2.8's production run kinda straddles the beginning of the use of TTY bolts, and I know for a fact that the Fel-Pro number for the 2.8, 2.9, and 4.0 are the same, and that both later engines did use TTY bolts.

I personally would not risk the price of the job on the bolts. Also, some of them are outside and exposed, with torx heads. Yuck.

rangerin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I resealed my 2.8 I just reused them and made sure to torque them properly.

Project84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thank you all. i ended up just reusing them because as far as i could find they are NOT TTY. Seams to be running good and they torqued just fine.
Although now I'm having overheating issues. I put a brand new NAPA water pump on and did a head gasket job. Only half of the radiator is geting hot also. Not sure if i need a new radiator or what.
Thanks.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Put a coolant flush fitting in the heater hose for the intake manifold. Hold the hose higher than the radiator cap and pour water in until it runs out the radiator. You need to burp the bypass circuit and the heater hose will fill the top of the motor and the heater core. I bet your heater is not working is that correct?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The two most effective ways to fill the cooling system are vacuum fill and top fill through a heater hose.

Top filling is the more practical option for most people, just like Kim described.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Thinking back I also flushed out the block when the water pump was off if you continue getting alot of rust in the system backflush the radiator and heater core good pull the water pump and spray inside the block in both directions until clear water comes out then put it back together. My coolant is the same color now as when I did the complete flush 5 years ago.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There are different filling procedures based on the year of your 2.8. If the thermostat is in the lower, front housing, you have to detach the upper radiator hose and fill up the engine by pouring coolant into it. If the thermostat is in the housing on top of the intake, you can fill it through the radiator without detaching anything.

While not necessary, the Lisle no spill funnels are a great tool.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I always drill a 1/8 hole in any new thermostat that doesn't come with a hole in it. This hole and the heater turned to hot will allow complete filling of all engines that I have worked on.
Big Jim

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I always drill a 1/8 hole in any new thermostat that doesn't come with a hole in it. This hole and the heater turned to hot will allow complete filling of all engines that I have worked on.
Big Jim
The problem with that is the thermostat on the 2.8 is on the hose coming into the engine off the lower radiator hose not on the upper radiator hose. The bypass circuit get a bubble that is a pain to burp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals