• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 V6 Y-Pipe - Worth re-creating?

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I have an '85 RCLB with the drivetrain out. I took a good look at the y-pipe and it's still in very good condition (truck is from northern Kentucky, originally, and has just over 100K miles).

Is it worth it to take the y-pipe to a muffler shop and have them try to re-create it? I've not seen any source for these but I don't know how much of a demand there is for them either.

TIA

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
In my opinion....not unless they have considerable fab experience with a mandrel bender & tig welding in 304 stainless.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Ain't broke... don't fix it ....

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
In my opinion....not unless they have considerable fab experience with a mandrel bender & tig welding in 304 stainless.
I was hoping mild steel tubing would be good enough. 304 SS isn't going to be cheap.
Ain't broke... don't fix it ....
It's not broken, I was wondering if it would worth having a spare or selling one to someone that needs it.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
It's not broken, I was wondering if it would worth having a spare or selling one to someone that needs it.

can't help there.... sometimes chasing rabbits ain't worth the headaches .... if someone needs 1 I am sure they would 1. track it down, or 2 get one made... as for demand ... :icon_confused:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Seeing as you're in Chicago the winters there are not too much different from what we get up here in Toronto..salt in the winter & lots of rot.

Anything but stainless here is a non starter for those reasons........yep stainless isn't cheap, but it does last a lifetime.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Would not bother, it is very hard to re-create exhaust tubing without having the vehicle there to test fit the part on. I had a tailpipe "duplicated" one time for my Explorer, by a guy who has been doing exhaust for many years, and it looked perfect but was off by quite a bit once I got it in the vehicle.

The Y pipe is really not hard to build, a good exhaust guy can whip one out quick.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Seeing as you're in Chicago the winters there are not too much different from what we get up here in Toronto: salt in the winter & lots of rot.
Anything but stainless here is a non starter for those reasons........yep stainless isn't cheap, but it does last a lifetime.
I'm fortunate to work for a company that allows me to work from home during inclement weather. That said, I'm sure that old y-pipe will be subjected to salt at some point. I'll have to decide if making another out of SS is worth it. I may just have one fabbed up that goes into a dual in/dual out muffler.
Would not bother, it is very hard to re-create exhaust tubing without having the vehicle there to test fit the part on. I had a tailpipe "duplicated" one time for my Explorer, by a guy who has been doing exhaust for many years, and it looked perfect but was off by quite a bit once I got it in the vehicle.

The Y pipe is really not hard to build, a good exhaust guy can whip one out quick.
I was thinking that a competent shop has to have the ability to make these. Any local shop is welcome to have the truck for test-fitting but, as I replied to 55trucker (above), maybe it's better to have something made that fits into a muffler of my choice. I'm partial to side exit exhaust ("lake pipes") and moving the muffler forward will facilitate that.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
In the very near future I will have to *refab* the flange at the end of the Y-pipes into the forward cat & the flange on the front cat, after 24 years the old 409 held up well but it is looking very fragile.
The Y pipes themselves are in good enough condition, the cats as well, so I have to remove both the Y pipe & the cats from the truck & cut away both flanges & have a local shop flame cut me 2 new ones in 409 from a template, fit them in & I can weld it all back together.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Luckily the y-pipes run hot since they are near the engine. So they seem to last a little longer than the cooler pieces farther down the line. It would be a shame to re-create the factory piece. The pipe is fairly small and doesn't look like it flows that well.

If you want to make something, make a set of headers. You might get some buyers for those.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Luckily the y-pipes run hot since they are near the engine. So they seem to last a little longer than the cooler pieces farther down the line. It would be a shame to re-create the factory piece. The pipe is fairly small and doesn't look like it flows that well.

If you want to make something, make a set of headers. You might get some buyers for those.
After working at the corporate HQ of a muffler/brake shop chain, many moons ago, we had access to information and engineers. As I'm sure you know, condensation is the biggest enemy of an exhaust system (aluminized steel tubing or not). The pipes that get "dried out" are the ones that last the longest. Areas where water can pool & sit degrade very quickly. So, pipes up by the engine usually last a bit longer than mufflers and tailpipes.

As for headers, I'd love that but the people that rebuilt the (yet-to-be-installed) engine tell me the engine will not perform well with headers and will run better with the stock manifolds. The engine just wasn't (re)built with headers in mind. If I had ordered the rebuild, it would have planned to source headers (although, since headers for the 2.8 in the Ranger aren't readily available anymore, I may not have gone that route).

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Early Ford Aerostars were built with the 2.8 . and they built pipe style headers for them if you search here you might be able to get a set. not sure if this info is useful to anyone... however cheers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals