• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 to 4.0 Motor Mounts

1BadRS

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I see so many of these swaps but they all seem to be going from a 2.9 to the 4.0. I have a 84 that I'm considering this swap into. I know the 4.0 goes right onto the 2.9 mounts with no modification necessary. Does the 2.8 to 4.0 need any modifications made? If so does anybody have pictures or explain what needs to be done?

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
The 2.8 brackets DO fit the 4.0!!!!!! drivers' side is direct bolt up, passenger side, the small "hook" on the front end of the bracket needs cut off. I have this set up in my 84 BII, along with a <very> simple harness for the engine, like, 2 fuses, 2 relays and 1 diode simple. Had to add fuel pump circuit, though. not a big deal.

1BadRS

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel Tank

That is great to hear! I pulled the drive train out of a 92 explorer along with every piece of wiring in the truck. I also got the dash, steering column and pedals so I'm thinking of just using it all and hopefully avoiding having to mess with any electrical. The only thing I'll have to replace is the tank so I can run an electric pump or could I keep my tank/pickup and just run an inline electric pump?

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Set up the wiring harness for the 4.0 as a stand alone. MUCH easier than having to integrate the "X" harness.I used the tank from an 85 and up BII. the sender opening is the same as the fuelie trucks. use carb fuel line as supply, run new return line, added fuelpump circuit to my 84, and, only had to splice into the factory harness in 1 place for the whole deal!

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
we're making out own fuel lines out of 1/4 inch brake lines on our 85 2.8-4.0 swap. it's at a standstill as of right now. But yes, the 2.8 mounts will fit the 4.0 with the exception of the "hook" on the 2.8 passenger mounts.

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
what is your standstill? technical?
yes, we've got a short in the wiring somewhere, and it wont turn over with the key. We have fire, just no turnover with key. I think it's either a bad ground, or as stated a short.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im doin the same swap in my B II. I also have an 84. its a lot of work putting the explorer wiring and dash, but I think it will be worth it in the end.
im using the 4.0 motor mounts, DS was a bolt in, pass side, had to drill a new hole in the frame bracket for the alignment dowel.
for the fuel tank, I used an 89 tank, and bent the pickup tube and sender arm from the explorer fuel pump/sender
I still need fuel lines, 89-90 B II is what I am going to use, no mods needed
when im finished there will be no spliced wires or fuel lines

pm me if you want more detailed info

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
Have fun, 70Roadrunner! Seems like alot of people are doing this lately. different ways, different reasons, but, still worth it, I think! Did mine like I did because I got tired of arguing with a cranky carb that was too worn out to rebuild again, and I am a bit of a power junkie. :3gears:

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks, ill keep you in mind! sorry for the threadjack. hope all goes well!

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it has been fun! I love a challenge! its a lot of work, but I feel it is all worth it! im gonna call it my 91 B II

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals