• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Stalls and hesitates

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello all. Haven't been on here in a while but I am currently having a problem with my truck. Had to finally replace my 89 ranger so I got an 85 in June. It has always run slightly rough but nothing to bad but lately it has gotten worse. The truck will shut off when you come to a stop and if it doesn't at first it will shut off shortly after stopping. Within the past couple weeks it has started to really hesitate when accelerating to the point where it almost seems like its gonna shut off. She's a 1985 Ranger 2.8L 4x4 with a 5 speed. It seems like a fuel problem but im kinda at my whit's end here so any help would be appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When was the last time the carb was rebuilt?

Could be time to do that, good read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/motorcraft_2150_carb.pdf

TFI ignition systems have problems as they get older, good read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Print worksheet and follow it to test for problems

Also test battery voltage before starting engine, needs to be above 12.2 volts
Then test battery voltage after engine has warmed up and is idling, should be above 13.4 volts.
Alternators have 3 separate fields inside that generate power, as alternator gets older 1 or even 2 fields can fail, this is often seen as headlights dimming at idle(no that is NOT normal, lol)
At higher RPMs alternator can maintain battery and system requirements with a failed field, but at idle it can not, as voltage drops the spark also gets weaker, as engine misfires RPMs get even lower and so does the voltage, so even weaker spark until engine dies.
With the weak spark and added fuel from pushing on gas pedal engine can start to stall out until voltage comes up with RPM increase

Last edited:

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know carb has not been rebuilt but I've only had it for 5 months or so. I've thought about rebuilding it but was unsure if I'd be able to pull it off as I've only rebuilt an Autolite 2100 off that 65 I've got. Appreciate that guide RonD. I'll let y'all know what ends up happening.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If it is still running on the computer it is the 2150a carb. Real similar to the 2100. Be sure and count the turns on the slow needles and set them back there. You can pull the codes but the first thing to do is make sure all the sensers are connected and the vacuum lines are correct. If you dont need to pass emissions do the duraspark conversion and ditch the computer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals