• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Rebuild

JCoux

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I just picked up an 85 Bronco II with the 2.8. I'd like to delve into rebuilding and engine and this is where I've decided to start. Do y'all have any recommendations for good parts sourcing/rebuild kits for these? I haven't done too much research so I figured I'd come to a group that has experience.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a 84 BII with the 2.8. Haven't had to rebuild it yet. but if I did I would get most of my parts from rockauto and ebay. I see rockauto has complete engine gasket sets, oversize pistons, bearings, etc.

I see ebay has a complete rebuild kit for about $500.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have rebuilt and overhauled these engines before and I think the simplest overhaul is adequate for the 2.8. Theses engines last a long time and if, after a tear-down, you examine the block, crank, pistons and rods etc you may find having the pistons expanded and possibly the rods reconditioned is all you will need. And have the heads done too; usually a regular valve job will do it.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
are you building for spec? or building for more ooomph? if you are building for a bit more power, I did up my 78 2.8 that is in my Pinto.

you may want to read over some of this book. there were a few things I did to my engine. IE the floating rocker pipes, drilled out the back head watering holes. custom ground the original 2.8 bumpstick. (custom grinder a few miles from me)

The little car screams (for what it is) a carbed dual exhaust 2.8 pinto. cheers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals