• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 headers on a 4.0?

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found a brand new set of 2.8 headers for a ranger at a thrift shop of all places! they are cyclone alumacoat and say they are for a ranger 2.8. are they different between 2wd and 4wd? and will they fit a 4.0? im still working on my BII 4.0 swap and figure this is the perfect time to install headers.

btw, they also have a new com cams camshaft for a 2.8 if anyone is interested. I could pick it up and ship it

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The 2.8 and the 4.0 do not share the same exhaust port configuration. I am pretty sure the 2.9 and 4.0 headers will swap over. If the 2.8 ones are cheap, id pick them up anyway, there are a couple people every so often that want them as they are a bit rare.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Dont believe it will fit a 4.0
And there ais a difference in 4x4 and 2wd versions since the 4x4 have a crossmember up front that has to be negotiated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
k, that's what I was afraid of. im sure I could make new flanges, but probably not worth the effort. doesn't the 2wd have the same crossmember? it still has ttb front suspension. the only thing I can see interfering is the front diff/driveshaft

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
really dont know i think it has to do with the ttb and the pig down there...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
k, that's what I was afraid of. im sure I could make new flanges, but probably not worth the effort. doesn't the 2wd have the same crossmember? it still has ttb front suspension. the only thing I can see interfering is the front diff/driveshaft
2wd's have Twin I Beam, the beams are longer and have more ideal geometry than the 4wd TTB. This means it has different mounts and mounting locations. That crossmember is what makes a 4wd conversion so tough, they are different.

It could be the brackets, it could be the axle beams from the lower slung 2wd, it could be the front driveshaft (doubtful for shorty headers)

I don't really know what the difference is... I have headers from a Falcon/Comet in mine and they don't seem to care it is 4wd.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals