• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Forged Pistons

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
...which means they'll fit the 2.9?

Any sign of forged rods yet?

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 2.9 bore is 3mm larger.
Looks like the 2.9 and 3.0 share bore specs.

It APPEARS rods between 2.8 and 2.9 are the same. I haven't looked for them or found them. Its probably a bad sign that the Euro engine companies harden stock rods.
Although the Euro cologne folk claim the rod bolts are the limiting factor to ~250 hp.

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nope bad info, 2.8 is 3.66" and 2.9 is 3.7" which are 1 mm different. Not sure what the specs on those linked pistons are but they claim they are custom made. Might be able to accou t for the difference or get an overbore set.
Burton appears to charge 2x as much for 94mm pistons.

There are rods available for $600+ it appears. But then you'd need a forged crank!
Maybe consider just hardening crank and rods? Has to be waaaay cheaper.

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last edited:

bigro 007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nope bad info, 2.8 is 3.66" and 2.9 is 3.7" which are 1 mm different. Not sure what the specs on those linked pistons are but they claim they are custom made. Might be able to accou t for the difference or get an overbore set.
Burton appears to charge 2x as much for 94mm pistons.

There are rods available for $600+ it appears. But then you'd need a forged crank!
Maybe consider just hardening crank and rods? Has to be waaaay cheaper.
bolth engine share the same bore please get the fact straigh for people who are not aware with these engine

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am a little new to the cologne engine family. But I have driven a stock 1986 2.9 with a 5 speed for about 8 years, and engine had loads of power. I often wondered why someone would want to swap in a v8, it ran that good.

Now I am running a 1984 2.8. Same trans, I actually swapped it in. It has the same gearing also. It's pretty sick. I see all this stuff to hop up the 2.8, but I keep asking myself why would I do that? Why would I not start out with the 2.9 which ran so good stock, and hop it up? How much money would you have to spend on a 2.8 to get to run like a stock 2.9? I like the 2.8 because it has a carb and is tuneable somewhat. That's the one thing I did not like about the 2.9 was the fuel injection system. When it ran good it ran good. When it didn't, it was a nightmare to troubleshoot.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I am a little new to the cologne engine family. But I have driven a stock 1986 2.9 with a 5 speed for about 8 years, and engine had loads of power. I often wondered why someone would want to swap in a v8, it ran that good.

Now I am running a 1984 2.8. Same trans, I actually swapped it in. It has the same gearing also. It's pretty sick. I see all this stuff to hop up the 2.8, but I keep asking myself why would I do that? Why would I not start out with the 2.9 which ran so good stock, and hop it up? How much money would you have to spend on a 2.8 to get to run like a stock 2.9? I like the 2.8 because it has a carb and is tuneable somewhat. That's the one thing I did not like about the 2.9 was the fuel injection system. When it ran good it ran good. When it didn't, it was a nightmare to troubleshoot.
Your eec iv was a good efi computer in its day. By now, it's capacitors are on its last legs, and the binaries that it is written in are effective, but difficult to modify.

Carburetors are last century and a TERRIBLE way to govern an engine. The best carbs on earth do not hold a candle to 'good' efi.

Learn to tune efi. It's not hard. You have experts here that are willing to help.

If this nerd can do it, anyone can.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I was reading your write up on your truck hoping to run across your megasquirt info thanks for posting it above. I have been debating that route for awhile, insterested in reading how you did it. The EECIV is very difficult to troubleshoot sometimes and unless you have a breakout box, no streaming data from any of the sensors. Of course with the breakout box you are reading voltages directly from the sensors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals