• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 Distributor, timing screwed up

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys.

85 BII 2.8 leaker

I needed to put in a new TFI, as most 2.8's do. I bought one, went to remove the old one(without removing distributor). Before I started I took a look with a flashlight and a small mirror to check for crud in the holes so I didnt have to fight getting the torx in. What did I find? Not torx heads. Two different size bolts. I got the upper one which was a 7/32 bolt with 4 washers on it. Couldnt get the other one to come out so I bit the bullet. Time to take out the distributor to pull it.

I marked the distributor with a sharpie... or so I thought. My whole engine bay is so damn greasy and oily that it must not have stuck. I got the TFI on, looked for my marks, nothing.

So i once again groaned and started timing it the old fashioned way, rotated to TDC, set rotor at #1. Put it all together. No go. Have gone through it 4 times now, cant see any marks on dampener to set to 10 BTDC, and it's kicking my ass.

It's taking up the whole garage and I need it done soon.

If you know any tricks with these buggers please let me know.

Thank you

Please help

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
double check you're on the compression stroke when you set cyl1 at TDC, poke your distributor in so the rotor points at the #1 spot on the cap. double check your firing order when you put your wires back on. hope that helps.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Will do first thing in the morning. Had to stop before I get frustrated to the point of breaking things haha. Pulling my hair out is fine, but start breaking parts and the bill adds up quick.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
You'll need to find the mark on the damper pulley, I remember it was hard to find on mine. Clean the thing and try to feel for it.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
She runs! Okay, so I found the notch marks and lined them up. It started but didn't run well. Then tweaked the distributor a few degrees and now it runs great.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Use the pointer not the round thing. It is best to mark the damper from underneath just put a white or yellow crayon mark one line back from the 12 line and time it exactly at 10 degrees with the spout wire disconnected. The single wire from the distributor that has a connector is the spout wire. Disconnect it to set the distributor at base timing 10DBTDC. Then connect the spot wire and the computer will find idle rpms. If you messed with the idle air jets disconnect the idle speed motor bottom front of the carb and adjust the idle air needles for the highest lean rpms. Then plug the idle motor back in and it should idle right down to around 675 rpms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals