• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 "Dieseling" When Turning Off

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi Guys,

As of late when I cut off my Bronco with the 2.8 it will have a case of "dieseling".

It isn't every single time, but it is becoming more frequent.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know it was a lot more common on carb'ed engines.

I did see where a fix could be an electric solenoid on the fuel line, or perhaps an electric fuel pump, but that was just a quick search.

From my understanding it happens from a hot spot in the engine that allows the gas to continue to ignite without the ignition system on, is there a way to isolate this?

I think the Bronco might be running warmer then I would like, but I need to confirm. I believe I'll install a 160 degree thermostat that I've had for a while (lower thermostat engine).

I do have a new two row radiator with a newer fan clutch, just seems to me it is operating a little warmer than maybe it should, but I'll have to get some temps and possibly check the tune to make sure I'm not running too lean.

Any other tips or things to check would be great.

Any advice @RonD or @19Walt93 ?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh, and I forgot, my idle seems to be turned up maybe a little too high, I know that can impact it.

I idle with no load around 1100 - 1200 rpm. When I put the trans in gear it drops to around 900 or so.

I had to turn it up over the summer to deal with the AC begin on as I don't have a plunger or IAC solenoid on this vehicle, I could add one I guess when the AC kicks on that it would make it work.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Set the carb back to spec and check your ignition timing. Advanced timing can cause dieseling as well as higher operating temps.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Set the carb back to spec and check your ignition timing. Advanced timing can cause dieseling as well as higher operating temps.
Technically it is all in spec. Base timing when I checked last week was 10 degrees BTDC, Idle is supposed to be between 800-900 rpm curb idle (trans in gear).

I think retarded timing is more of the culprit of higher temps than advanced from what I am seeing.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Technically it is all in spec. Base timing when I checked last week was 10 degrees BTDC, Idle is supposed to be between 800-900 rpm curb idle (trans in gear).

I think retarded timing is more of the culprit of higher temps than advanced from what I am seeing.
I had always heard advanced did it. Hmm..

Any vacuum leaks at the carb base?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?

If it's idling that fast it ain't in spec. High idle speed is the primary cause of dieseling, timing has nothing to do with it because dieseling occurs with the ignition turned off and no spark is produced. I would recommend adding a throttle kicker solenoid to boost the idle a little when the a/c is on. A cheaper solution might be to turn the key off while the trans is still in drive, but I'd get a solenoid.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it's idling that fast it ain't in spec. High idle speed is the primary cause of dieseling, timing has nothing to do with it because dieseling occurs with the ignition turned off and no spark is produced. I would recommend adding a throttle kicker solenoid to boost the idle a little when the a/c is on. A cheaper solution might be to turn the key off while the trans is still in drive, but I'd get a solenoid.
Dieseling is basically fumes in the cylinder being ignited due to high combustion temps or abnormally high compression (carbon on top of piston or bottom of valves or chamber)

Basically igniteing like a diesel...hence the name. I had a 300 that did it so bad id have to put it in 4th and drop the clutch.

Also why i asked about the carb base, lean causes higher then normal cylinder temps

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm going off of the sticker under the hood. I believe it says 800-900 curb idle. I'll check when I get home.

Have any suggestions on a solenoid to fab up? I can't imagine it being that hard, AC clutch engaged, solenoid should be as well.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had always heard advanced did it. Hmm..

Any vacuum leaks at the carb base?
I believe I'm good on vacuum, but I'll take a look around when I get a chance. That for sure can cause lean and raise the cylinder temps.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I still have my original 2150A carb, I do believe it had a solenoid or something similar on the front of it. I can likely take it off and get it to work with my 2150 no feedback carb I have now. Just need to get some time to investigate.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Ive got no idea on the feedback stuff. But they did run idle solenoids on non feedback carbs too. Ive seen them. But not sure if theres a difference

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A Diesel engine doesn't use spark plugs, its ignites diesel fuel by compression, which gets it HOT enough to self ignite
To shut off a diesel you shut off its fuel

"Dieseling" in a gasoline engine is caused from self ignition of the lower octane fuel, and is bad for the engine, it's the same thing as pinging/knocking so can cause pitting in the cylinders
Spark system is off with key off, so not the issue, but as said, if spark timing is off it can cause hotter cylinder temps

On a carb you have a big float bowl so cutting off the fuel will take a long while, lol

So best to address the root cause which is cylinder heat, lower octane fuel still needs HEAT to self ignite
I am assuming engine is NOT running hotter than usual, if it is address that FIRST, clean cooling system

Let engine idle for 20-30seconds, then shut it off, this allows for heat dissipation in cylinders that is built up when engine was under load(driving)

Run some Seafoam in the gas tank to help clean off carbon build up in the cylinders
Make sure spark plugs are correct heat range/model for the engine

Run some higher octane fuel that has "cleaners" in it, the higher octane will prevent dieseling for now but not a long term fix

Make sure EGR system is working if you have one, EGR system cools the cylinders when they are under a load, so less residual heat when you stop

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Whew... I don't miss the days that this problem was lined up waiting to get in one of my service stalls.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A Diesel engine doesn't use spark plugs, its ignites diesel fuel by compression, which gets it HOT enough to self ignite
To shut off a diesel you shut off its fuel

"Dieseling" in a gasoline engine is caused from self ignition of the lower octane fuel, and is bad for the engine, it's the same thing as pinging/knocking so can cause pitting in the cylinders
Spark system is off with key off, so not the issue, but as said, if spark timing is off it can cause hotter cylinder temps

On a carb you have a big float bowl so cutting off the fuel will take a long while, lol

So best to address the root cause which is cylinder heat, lower octane fuel still needs HEAT to self ignite
I am assuming engine is NOT running hotter than usual, if it is address that FIRST, clean cooling system

Let engine idle for 20-30seconds, then shut it off, this allows for heat dissipation in cylinders that is built up when engine was under load(driving)

Run some Seafoam in the gas tank to help clean off carbon build up in the cylinders
Make sure spark plugs are correct heat range/model for the engine

Run some higher octane fuel that has "cleaners" in it, the higher octane will prevent dieseling for now but not a long term fix

Make sure EGR system is working if you have one, EGR system cools the cylinders when they are under a load, so less residual heat when you stop
EGR has been deleted. I suspect that could be part of the problem as well.

I'm tempted to go back and add one for a lot of reason.

I'll review it things listed when I get a chance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals