• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.7/3.5 EcoBoost to stock 4x4 driveline?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Has anyone put a 2.7 or 3.5 twin turbo in a ranger yet? I am seriously thinking about it. Not sure what would have to be cut out of engine compartment, if anything. I think it would be super cool setup. not sure about how it would bolt up to present driveline. Curious about electronics to make it work also. I’ve got a 94 4.0l with 246,000 on the clock. It’s tired. Was well abused before I got it. I want to make her clean and reliable. Thanks for any advice.

These guys are doing it to an 05 so maybe one of the videos in the thread can point you in the right direction.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The 4wd trans that comes with the 3.5 EB is either 6 or 10 spd automatic. So, now you can't use the Ford Motorsport control pack, you need to use the control module out of the vehicle you pulled the engine out of.

And the control module is linked to the ABS, and Electronic stability control. So, now you are wiring and reprogramming an automatic transmission, ABS and ESC module. And they need reprogramming because unless you are putting the drivetrain into something very similar in size/dynamics i.e. Rust's '79 F-150, you "fool" the sensors which can lead to really bad things e.g. instead of ESC preventing rollover, it causes rollover. As a result, the aftermarket has been slow to venture into this market - you have to figure out how to delete all electronic nannies without harming rest of drivetrain.

Reverse engineering takes time and money, so there needs to sufficient market that wants (can afford) a 3,5EB rather than say 5.0.

none of these problems are serious since 17.

you can build emulators or pass thrus and invest in hp tuners.

its the packaging that is the issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals