• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L exhaust system

Slo Ranger Trk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,
have a question about pipe diameter from the flex joint back ... i've noticed that at the flex-joint the pipe diameter reduces , so if i have the muffler shop fab a 3" pipe from the flex-joint back to the muffler , will that reduce back pressure and increase exhaust flow ? i'm using a flomaster turbo muffler w/a turn down @ the rear axle .. the muffler guy told me he could fab brackets that use the stock hangers and not create a mess ...
any input would be apricated and be a major help...
thanks all for your help,
mahalo, R

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet is to get underneath with an accurate caliper to measure what the pipe diameter is before and after the reducer.

As far as pipe sizing goes, it's always a tricky trade off. Usually, if you're not pumping out 400+ Hp and crazy tq numbers, bigger isn't always better. For a 4cyl, you'll likely want a little back pressure to help with your low end tq, and 3" from the manifold all the way back likely wouldn't be the best set-up. However if you don't care about accelerating fast, and would rather go for MPGs, then an upgrade in pipe size might be a valid investment.

Ultimately, my advice is this: if you must increase your pipe size, don't go over 1/4" over stock. I'd have to take a look at my own truck, but I'm guessing your stock exhaust is either 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust. In which case, don't go over 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" exhaust. What you lose in the low end, you might notice you pick up in the high end, where it might be a little easier to pass people at highway speeds, but might struggle more going up hills on the highway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals