• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 Stalls after warming up

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I haven't been around for a while but it looks like I'm gonna get another Ranger...

I'm told it runs strong, but it tries to stall at at red-lights after warming up. (Manual trans).

The IAC is suspected, but I'm wondering if there are any vacuum lines that are hard to find on this engine.

I ask about the hidden vacuum lines because I had problems with the idle on my F-150 years ago. I replaced the IAC, but that didn't fix it... After a while, someone told me about a hidden vacuum line that cannot be seen. You just have to know where it is, reach in, and find it by feel.. Once I found it, it was a simple fix.

Thanks in advance! Cheers,

Jim

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I bought it...

Just as described, she stalls once warm. Always fires right back up though, so that's good.

I found a broken vacuum line, and there's a youtube vid about it already. It operates the vent for "Max AC"... Apparently that line is known to break, I saw other stories about it too.

I also found that the MAF base has a chunk missing at the seal. In the pic below, it was covered with aluminum tape. But I don't think that's what causes the stalling. That tape looked airtight, and I drove it with the hole exposed, and there was no difference.

20190928_153912.jpeg

In the background (top right), you can see the broken vacuum line. It's a hard grey line.

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I stopped by the store and got the codes read today, and it was only P0102... (MAF low voltage)

The tape was removed at that point, and she still ran the same...

One other thing, the check engine light doesn't work... It doesn't come on at start-up.

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
In this pic, there's that broken vacuum line..

On the coolant hose that goes to the heater core, the "T" is leaking...

It's pissin on the wires below, but I don't know what that part is... it's mounted to the exhaust manifold, and it's loose.... it rattles around...

Anyone know of a good "parts fische"?
20190928_153458.jpeg

Jim2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
fwiw... a remanufactured MAF sensor fixed it right up. She purrs now. No more stalling.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for posting your fix.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals