• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 Ranger vs. 2.3 Mustang performance?

Explodin' Bryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've owned 3 Mustangs with the 2.3: 2 NA (one auto with 3.73 gears and one 5-speed with 3.45s) and a SVO. While I know there's no comparison with the SVO vs. a Ranger with a 2.3/2.5 I was wondering what the real-world driving experience is like between a NA Mustang and a Ranger (I'm mainly interested in the 2.5 but the 2.3-based opinions are still relevant for this comparison), both auto and stick.

I'd consider my NA 2.3 Mustangs "tolerable" as far as power but I still felt it lacking at times, esp. highway passing. The 5-speed felt faster than the auto despite the higher gears. I know the Lima-powered Rangers aren't rockets but I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
They don't drive as well as a mustang, the 10 extra hp doesn't do much with the extra weight of the truck. A 2.5 stock only made 110 or 115 hp. The late mustangs and 2.3 rangers made 105.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I guess it'd be like hooking up five more horses in front of your ranger or mustang. I think they would have to be 3 abreast so you'd have about 34 or so rows of horses in front of your vehicle all pulling hard at the same time...to get over 100 hp.

What always got me was a horse can only run about 45 mph at the champion level so how the heck does having more horses in front of your vehicle make your vehicle travel faster than they can actually run?

The 2.5 has more torque...and if you put in a 4.10 rear end or higher (lower) you can improve the take off considerably...

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
It's never going to be a rocket ship. Unless you port the head and get a hot cam (which will kill your low end)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Explodin' Bryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not looking for power at all and expected as much. I think a little gearing could make up some pep. I'm toying with the idea of getting a '98-'01 supercab with a 2.5 for use as a commuter/light-duty farm truck eventually. Then a little farther out yanking the motor for a turbo rebuild to go into my '89 Mustang. Then use the 2.3 out of the Mustang in the Ranger (so emissions inspections here), maybe even as a high-RPM carbureted sleeper. FYI, I already have a diesel Excursion for towing and a SASed Explorer for wheeling.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals