• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 Lima rattle - no load + above 1900rpm

gdlegion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L Ford Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2 inch
This is my first thread, sorry for the long post.

I hope you experienced guys can help me figure this doozy out.

One night after doing 90 down the CA-78 in 5th gear OD, a strange tick developed on my truck. :huh:

It's like a ticking-rattle sound that occurs under no accel/no load conditions. I have been driving it this way for about 4 months (roughly 5000 miles), and it has not gotten worse.

When I crank in the morning, it will rattle for a few seconds as the rpms hit 2k, but dies down at approximately 1800rpm and disappears (or sounds like normal ticking) as it idles at 950. If I slowly accel to 2k rpm, it will start ticking. It disappears under firm accel or letting off the gas completely while driving. If I'm just trying to cruise on the freeway in 5th (ie. keep it at a constant speed), it will tick. If I am applying throttle in 5th or take my foot off in 5th, it disappears completely. It appears in all gears under the same conditions: accel or decel it is silent, at equlibrium/constant speed it rattles.

It sounds like it's coming from the engine when I open the hood, but from the cab it sounds like it's coming from just forward of the shifter. The shifter knob does not vibrate wildly, and the rattle tick cannot be felt in the shifter.

Seems to be louder on colder days, and quieter when it's hot out. It always appears however.

When press and release the clutch pedal to shift, generally between 2-3k rpms, it will click a few times before the next gear's load engages.

It is present in neutral if i try to hold it at a set rpm between 2-3k.

Before you tell me I certainly have valve problems (which is still quite possible:fie:), let me say that I passed California Smog inspection with FLYING COLORS. The engine is particularly strong, and even produces water out the muffler. I undercut the state hydrocarbon average by half, and my O2 and CO emissions were spectacularly low. The EGR valve is clean and setup snug and proper. The clutch however is on it's last leg( it doesn't slip, but I have very little meat left).

The engine is a 2.5 Lima Tech with 187000 miles on it.

Anyone seen this before? I found a whole ton of Ford vehicle threads on the internet with this issue, apparently this afflicts many different Ford autos. No one seems to have a solution or answer.

The main clue is that the rattle is affected by changes in torque or load, as in it does not make noise when applying acceleration, whether forward or reverse (deccel) while in gear.

Also, note: This truck is stock with some OEM Bosch parts sprinkled throughout.

Last edited:

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm completely baffled as well but first thing I would do is pull the valve cover off and just take a look. The gasket set is like 10 or 12 bucks, it doesn't take long and at that point you can either rule it out or find your problem.

I had a bad valve tick on my 2.3 that eventually made is so the intake valve was barely opening but it still ran really well.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

gdlegion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L Ford Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2 inch
I'm gonna give that a whirl on Friday.

Think it could be a heat shield? I'm gonna give that a look as well.

Could it be a flywheel or pressure plate issue? It seems to increase proportionally with engine rpms...

gdlegion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L Ford Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2 inch
My local mechanic said it could very well be wrist pins or rod knock, but it doesn't knock at all under load, which makes me think it's something else entirely.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think a heat shield or cat rattle or even muffler can be causing the type of noise you describe. I would check it by hitting the exhaust with a mallet and seeing if it rattles.

gdlegion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L Ford Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2 inch
hey XLT, I gave that a shot today and everything is in top shape. The heat shields are all good, and it would not have passed smog if it had an exhaust leak. I'm gonna keep looking.

My old man thinks the fly wheel may have a bolt loose, possible a periphery bolt.

Will keep this updated, and hopefully fix it, so the next guy who can't figure it out possibly stumbles on this thread.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might want to check out your alternator. Something just happened with mine and it developed a rattle noise mostly in the lower rpms.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8 using Tapatalk

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My local mechanic said it could very well be wrist pins or rod knock, but it doesn't knock at all under load, which makes me think it's something else entirely.
Everyone is sort of dancing around this. And, in fact, it could be any of the suggestions. But, pins and rods do not knock under load until they are ready to fail completely. Rods knock when you let off the gas.

At the same time, I don't think I have ever heard of a rod knock not getting worse in 5000 miles of normal driving (piston pin maybe not). One thing for sure, if it is not in the top half of the engine, it has to be in the bottom half.

Ed

gdlegion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L Ford Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2 inch
enjr44, I will take a peek at the bottom end this weekend, and maybe the valve train too if I have the time. Hope it's something easy, don't want to get rid of this Lima engine.

Edit: OH I forgot to add... It does not knock as I release the throttle. Let's say I'm cruising at 70 in 5th (OD gear at 1.33 ratio). If I'm holding it down to maintain slight inertia and accel it doesn't knock, and as I release it it only faintly clicks at a median point on the throttle. Since it's 5th gear, there is only a tiny little spot to keep it at a constant velocity which sound more like a click in 5th, it doesn't knock as I let off the throttle enough for the truck to start slowing...

Does that help?

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
While in neutral, rev engine to say 2000 RMP. Let off the gas. If it is a rod it will knock immediately and then quiet as the RPMs drop.

At idle a piston pin will have a lite double tap, one for each time the piston changes direction.

From what you are saying it does not sound like your noise is any of these.

rangerjunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
How about a exhaust leak. Or possibly a loose spark plug. Egr tube leak? Take some 5/8" heater hose about 2 feet long and use it as a stethoscope to find the noise. Have someone Rev it up to where it makes the noise. Just some thoughts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

gdlegion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L Ford Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2 inch
enjr44, are you saying that it will knock as soon as I hit 2k rpms, or that as soon as I release from 2k, it will knock. What exact moment should I listen for the knock?

I'm going to drop the oil pan this weekend and take a look-see.

gdlegion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L Ford Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2 inch
Guys, it's definitely a rod bearing.

I'm going to swap a new motor in it and rebuild the old one. I will update this with a confirmation of the issue when I get the new motor, and start a new thread on the engine rebuild.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals