• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) 2.5 Lima Engine Pinging PLEASE HELP!!!

BenB8538

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys,

This may be a lot, but if someone could provide me some expertise that would be GREATLY appreciated

I know there is a million threads for this out there. And I have pretty much read them all. Hopefully someone on here can be of some assistance. I have certainly done my homework, but to no avail in actually fixing my issue.

I have a 1999 Mazda B2500 (Ford Ranger 2.5 Lima) 2WD 5speed Manual 94,800 miles.

I have been having engine pinging problems for several months now, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. It only does it under certain throttle positions, and mainly up hills and right as I get back on the gas after a shift.
I should also mention it really only does it in 4th and 5th gears, and very rarely in 3rd, and does not happen while cruising, only while accelerating or up a hill.
When I floor it, the pinging stops, but then as I back the throttle off the pinging returns, until I feather the throttle, it goes away again. SO WEIRD.
When I unplug the battery it seems to solve it for a slight period and then the pinging returns.
This problem is boggling my mind because the truck idles perfect, runs great and makes good power, runs and shifts totally fine and purrs like a kitten.
Never had a CEL, truck does not die at stop signs/lights, no shakes or noticeable misfires.

Here is a list of things I have already done/checked based off the other forums I have read:

1. Cleaned MAF
2. Tested MAF by unplugging and driving around (truck pinged more and noticeably drove worse)
3. Replaced Spark plugs and wires, Autolite double platinum, gapped to 0.044
4. Running 89 octane gas
5. Sea Foam through the intake and in the gas tank
6. Chevron Techron through the tank multiple times
7. Checked EGR Pipe, no leaks
8. EGR Solenoid checked by taking off cap and plugging the port
9. DPFE Sensor replaced
10. Fan Clutch checked
11. IAT Sensor replaced
12. Fuel Pump was replaced around 80k miles, right before I bought the truck
13. Replaced IAC, unplugged to check for vacuum leaks, engine almost stalled
14. Replaced Fuel Filter
15. Replaced up and downstream O2 sensors as well as the Catalytic converter (this was a separate issue, I didn't replace to try and fix pinging)
16. Engine Air filter replaced
17. Coolant temp sensor and sender both replaced
18. Checked for intake manifold gasket leaks
19. Replaced PCV

Any help is appreciated or tips or words of wisdom. This truck is super clean and I really don't wanna blow the motor or cause other issues by just leaving this.

PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you!

Ben

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Can you get to and manually activate the EGR or hook a vacuum line to it directly during idle to see if the engine stalls? At idle, activating the EGR should make the engine stall. If it doesn't, that exhaust supply pipe may be plugged up with carbon, or the EGR valve may be faulty.

BenB8538

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2500
Transmission
Manual
Can you get to and manually activate the EGR or hook a vacuum line to it directly during idle to see if the engine stalls? At idle, activating the EGR should make the engine stall. If it doesn't, that exhaust supply pipe may be plugged up with carbon, or the EGR valve may be faulty.
I can try that for sure. I plugged up the solenoid with my finger (advice from another forum) which apparently gives vacuum to the EGR, and the truck stalled right away. I figure the EGR is probably okay? Carbon build up may be my route cause in one form or another though, this truck sat for a long time. Only had 9k miles put on it from 2007 to 2021 from the previous 86 year old owner. I don't feel like there should be that much carbon build up with only 94k miles but I guess the sitting may have caused that too?

Ben

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals