• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5 engine performace

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
so I have 2001 2.5l motor and am going to swap it into my 96 ford ranger and before i did i want to do some engine upgrades and im not talking about cutting hole in the air box or any stupid shit like that. Im talking about what cam i should get, how to stoke it, how to bore out the cylinders and to what size and what size pistons;,how to port and polish the intake.i dont want to get a turbo.or a turbo motor. I just want to know about actual engine upgrades. But this is what i have so far.

K&N filter, header from a 96,exhaust, 4.10 rear end, and aluminum drive shaft

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
basically i want to know how to beef up this litte 2.5L engine

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
We usually bore it out 40 over,go with a good lightweight piston.decked the block 20 and cut the head about 50-70 thousandsts.Esslinger makes a nice stage one or two cam that works nice for the street.Get a adj. cam gear to dial it in.You can open up the valve area around the top sides and top of the inlet.Open up the ends of the intake where it bolts to the head also.You can make a open air box that faces forward to get a ram air effect as this helps quite a bit at speeds,drawback is you get a lot of water and snow in it in adverse wheather.A schoenfeld header will flow better than the stock one,especially at higher rpms.We use a red top injector,but you have to make some changes in the MAF and O2 sensor.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks That Helps me out a lot, Because i just don't hear a lot about this kind of stuff. cool now i know

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
so is there anything else you guys know of

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
just remember...alot of the 4cyl stangs and 4cyl thunderbird parts will work on a 2.5L....2.3 and 2.5 are both lima engines. So headers for a 4cyl stang should work for a 2.5L ranger. Things of that nature.

I'm considering getting a later model ('97) 2.3L Lima and doing a turbo swap on to it. Full build...bring it to the bare block and go up from there. It'll push 300rwhp with not much work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals