• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L w/ a possesed oil pressure gauge

praitorianlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've got a '90 ranger with a 2.3L (stock motor) w/ the dual plug head. after shaking my truck on a back road like a bad parent giving their kid shaken baby syndrome, my oil pressure gauge is now possesed by a skizophrenic demon. the needle goes from between the r and m on normal to "there is absolutely no pressure at all (i.e. vehicle is shut off) while i'm whipping this truck go 65 on the highway. i know it's either the sending wire or the oil pressure sender itself that has gone the way of the demented crack addict, so i was wondering if someone out there can walk me through getting my hand(s) on the piece in question so as to repair this problem. any shouts back are much appreciated.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
To start, the oil pressure gauges in the Rangers are more like a relay. Either the gauge is reading normal or not. No variable in between to give actually oil pressure readings. The oil pressure sender switch is located on the right, towards the very back of the engine block (when looking from the front of the truck), with one wire coming off it.

Twisted_Steel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 HO
Transmission
Automatic
If what Learjet says doesn't help, you may be looking at a different problem.
You may have a clogged oil pick-up screen. My 91 2.3 did the same thing until I pulled the pan and found the cork gasket had disintegrated from the oil and heat cycles causing little cork balls to slowly clog the screen. The oil pressure would show nothing, then jump up to mid normal and crash again suddenly.
The replacement gasket is rubber and deletes future gasket failure.
You can jack up the drivers side of the engine to get the pan down far enough to remove the gasket and get a wrench on the pick-up tube.. all without having to disconnect the fuel lines.

Good luck and keep us posted!

praitorianlord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey, thanks for the replies, yall.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals