• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3l Turbo into 1995 2.3 ranger. HELP

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
First off i am new to this sight and the search option will not work for me.
So im buying a 1995 ranger with a 2.3L engine and a 5 speed. I have a 1987 thunderbird that i took the motor and i want to rebuild it before i swap it into my ranger. Now when i do the swap i dont have alot of time to let the car just sit. So i was hoping i could get some help on what i should expect from the swap. any mods i would have to make exc.. I am really good with turning wrenches and getting things to work but i am new to the performance aspect of things. any help/ guidance is appreciated
Also if anyone is local to Farmington Hills, MI and want to help out i can helps you out as well.
:icon_cheers:

tcranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 and a 1986
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo and a n/a
Transmission
Manual
it would be better to post this in the forced induction forum. also check out the tech page that has a lot of information on the swap. but i am about an hour away from you by chelsea, mi. the swap it pretty much bolt in with a few minor computer pin changes. i am very happy with my swap.

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok.thanks for sugestions. my main concern is if i have to cut anything in the engine so that it will fit. i did alittle searching and i was trying to find out if that was the case or if that was if you tried to swap the 2.3 into the 3.0.
I was also curiose as to if the stock 5 speed would hold up the power as well as the rear end. i know alot about turbo coupes but i am new to rangers

tcranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 and a 1986
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo and a n/a
Transmission
Manual
i am running the stock trans. and rear end. they will hold up as long as your not in the habit of dumping the clutch at 3000rpm. haha. i will be upgrading to the 8.8 rear end because i want posi and i dont want to spend time polishing a turd (7.5) also not cutting necessary if it is going in a 2.3 ranger. just a little massaging the heater box. also i couldn't fit the stock location turbo with a/c so i just took all that out.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the ranger is a 3.0? that adds some complications, like the transmission is useless for the swap. I have 20K on my turbo ranger with 31" tires and 4.10 gears in the 7.5, had nearly 200K on it before the turbo...

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
no its a 2.3 ranger.i was just wondering if i would run into the same complications as the 3.0 and so on.
And which parts of your a/c could you not get to fit? im guessing the storage bottle because it would be right by the heater box. but im kinda hoping its not the compressor. because i can always re-route the lines if i really wanted the a/c.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the compressor and the condenser (the part that sticks out of the firewall by the blower motor) both get in the way, other than ripping it all out you can spend a little bit of money on a header that pushes the turbo up and forward, I think you can get them from turborangerforums

if it's a 2.3 ranger, it's pretty simple, my tranny had about 200K on it when I put the turbo engine in, about 20K on it since then and it seems to be holding fine, the M5OD is a good tranny.

billk2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Ranger xtr
Transmission
Manual
Go to turborangerforum.com and they'll get you any answers you need. The moderator sells a header that moves the turbo so you don't have to mangle the heater box and you can keep your A/C if you want to.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I'd totally rethink this whole thing. Being you have an obd2 ranger i'd keep that motor and engine management system. like mentioned go to turborangerforums.com and check out some threads there. You could still use some parts from the turbo coupe, but it's a lot easier to tune an obd2 truck than obd1.

check it out. tons and tons of info here. http://www.turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=20

Biohazard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
actually i found out its a 1994. when i bought it i realized the title said 94 and he said 95. no biggie to me thought. i plan on keeping the wiring harness in the ranger and running the dual plug head on it. i just got the motor out of the turbo coupe and im gana start ripping it apart this weekend. i got alot of work to do before the swap so im gana have time to research. There is a good chance i will fabricate my own header and possibly intake.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
run the single plug head and one coil pack that's what I'm running and it's working great, the only modification to the engine was to drill and tap 3 holes in the block for the crank sensor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals