• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3l to vw diesel swap 95 ranger 2wd

changed_my_name

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
so my 95 ranger needs a new transmission and i would like to make it a diesel at the same. However in order to use a kit like those at tdconversions.com i would need a 3.0l transmission in place of my 2.3l trans. Since it would be replaced anyways this isn't a loss in money only extra complexity. the kit states that the transmission stays in the same place but my question is would that hold true for a 3.0l transmission swap also?

I would appreciate any other diesel swap advice also. thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you put the 3.0 transmission in place like Ford had it, then there would be no difference?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm going to build a similar thing but im using a T5 since my ranger was v8 swapped already. From what I can tell a M5OD-R1 which is probably whats in there already should use the same trans mounts and honestly I don't think having to make an extension plate from the trans mount to the crossmember is to big of a deal, I used a flat piece of steel when I did my 5.0 swap to make the t5 work with my existing 2.3 crossmember. Besides you are going to have to fab in motor mounts anyway

Omen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes the transmission falls in the same place in terms of mounting. I used the stock transmission mounting as my reference point & worked from there. I used stock x member and mount. The benefit to using the TD conversions kit is it pushes the engine forward for vaccuum pump clearance, instead of moving the transmission back and having to modify the drivelines. This way you can use factory parts from the transmission on back so then the modifications are on the engine side. From an ease of install perspective retaining as many factory parts as possible, it is worth the money in my opinion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals