• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"2.3L to 4.0L" 2002 Ford Ranger XLT

slinky501w

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i blew the engine in my 2002 ford ranger XLT (2.3L 4cyl) and i want to put in a 4.0L 6cyl. would i have any problems with this? Im worried about the bolt patterns and the wiring harness not matching up. just need some advice from someone with more experienced with this kind of stuff.

DriverSideImpact

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
BUMP

I have the same question but for my 96 2.3L 5spd 4x4. My donor truck is a 1993 4.0L 5spd 2wd. I know the trannys are the same (and the 2.3L trans has a lower 1st and 2nd gear). I have more emissions/OBDI and OBDII compatibility questions (SE Wisc. requires emissions testing for 96 and newer vehicles), and what my options are for keeping it emissions legal are. Would I just need to flash the 96's computer to eliminate the MIL or can i adapt the 96 comp to run with the 4.0, or can i use the 93's comp? Stand alone cpu? OBDII 4.0 computer? thats my big question.

However for your questions: my two cents:

Would you be swapping in the OHV (2000 and older) or SOHC 4.0 (98? and newer)? I'd think the SOHC would be easier to make the computer/electrical stuff work. I'd assume engine to tranny bolt patterns would be the same, Ford was always pretty good at using the same engine and tranny options in many vehicles. The engine mounts are going to be different for sure, seeing as they are totally different engines. Thats about all I have on this subject, unfortunately.

06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L or 140 C.I.
Transmission
Automatic
Bump I am planning a 2006 2.3l engine to a 2008 4.0l engine swap and was wondering the same.

rollinglowrange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Automatic
no one has info on this looking to do the same

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals