• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L SOHC swap to 4.0L SOHC?

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi guys,

I'd like to have your opinions and advices over swapping my ranger 1995, 5 manual M5OD-R1 gearbox, 2.3L SOHC for a 4.0 SOHC from an explorer.

I'm in france, got an imported Ranger from Canada, and a friend of mine, found me a complete 1999 Explorer, 4.0L SOHC, with a dead automatic gearbox.

Does anyone done a swap like that? I know sometime there is problems with OBD1 and OBD2, but my ranger and the explorer are OBD2, so should be ok.

There is huge modofication to do for the engine mounting point? Possible to put my gearbox on the 4.0?

Thanks
Enzo

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1995 ranger 4.0 ohv engine mounts will allow you to mount the 4.0 sohc into your truck. im not sure about your flywheel. the 4.0 has a 8 bolt pattern for mounting the flywheel to the crank. if the m50d does mount to the 4.0, it wont last very long.

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
But I have the 2.3, don't know if there is any difference with the 4.0 ohv ^^

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, the 2.3l SOHC Manual transmission will not fit on a 4.0l engine, and no adapters

The M5R1(M5OD-R1) has an integrated bellhousing, can't be switched, so these transmissions were made specifically for 1 of the 4 Ranger engines used from 1988-2011(leaving out the 2.9l)
2.3l/2.5l SOHC Lima, 1988-2001
3.0l Vulcan, 1991-2008
4.0l OHV or SOHC, 1990-2011
2.3l DOHC Duratec, 2001-2011

None of these 4 versions of the M5R1's are swappable between engines sizes or between the two 2.3l's used

The 2.3l Lima engine was used in the 1983–1989 Ford Sierra sold in Europe

The 4.0l OHV or SOHC is a Cologne engine design so its bellhousing pattern is the same across these Cologne engine sizes
2.8l
2.9l
4.0l

Ford Sierra and Scorpio, European sold Fords, both used these engines, so a manual trans from one of these would bolt to the 4.0l SOHC from the explorer

You do need to swap over the explorer computer and wiring harness to the ranger

There is an issue because explorer computer will have software for an automatic transmission and you won't have one, so it will turn on the CEL(check engine light) and it will stay on, forever, unless you find a programmer that can delete the automatic trans software from the computer

And then there is PATS(passive anti-theft system), 1999 explorer will use a transponder key, the key in the ignition needs to transmit a "known" number to PATS module or the computer will not turn on fuel pump or fuel injectors
If you get a "working key" with the explorer then you can just put the key in the "reader" and tape it in place so with key ON the PATS sees the correct number and computer will allow starting of the engine
PATS can also be deleted from the computer by a programmer

Last edited:

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Damn what a shame..

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
But I have the 2.3, don't know if there is any difference with the 4.0 ohv ^^
I know. im saying those are the engine mounts youll need to get to be able to mount the engine in your truck

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No, the 2.3l SOHC Manual transmission will not fit on a 4.0l engine, and no adapters

The M5R1(M5OD-R1) has an integrated bellhousing, can't be switched, so these transmissions were made specifically for 1 of the 4 Ranger engines used from 1988-2011(leaving out the 2.9l)
2.3l/2.5l SOHC Lima, 1988-2001
3.0l Vulcan, 1991-2008
4.0l OHV or SOHC, 1990-2011
2.3l DOHC Duratec, 2001-2011

None of these 4 versions of the M5R1's are swappable between engines sizes or between the two 2.3l's used

The 2.3l Lima engine was used in the 1983–1989 Ford Sierra sold in Europe

The 4.0l OHV or SOHC is a Cologne engine design so its bellhousing pattern is the same across these Cologne engine sizes
2.8l
2.9l
4.0l

Ford Sierra and Scorpio, European sold Fords, both used these engines, so a manual trans from one of these would bolt to the 4.0l SOHC from the explorer

You do need to swap over the explorer computer and wiring harness to the ranger

There is an issue because explorer computer will have software for an automatic transmission and you won't have one, so it will turn on the CEL(check engine light) and it will stay on, forever, unless you find a programmer that can delete the automatic trans software from the computer

And then there is PATS(passive anti-theft system), 1999 explorer will use a transponder key, the key in the ignition needs to transmit a "known" number to PATS module or the computer will not turn on fuel pump or fuel injectors
If you get a "working key" with the explorer then you can just put the key in the "reader" and tape it in place so with key ON the PATS sees the correct number and computer will allow starting of the engine
PATS can also be deleted from the computer by a programmer
By the way, Thanks Ron for all thoses informations, they will really help me!

Now I know what I can look for!

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello, hello!

Got some news for the swap. The Explorer I saw as been sold so it's dead for that one, and it's daaaaaaaaamn difficult to find parts here in france, but I found an other one, complete, with automatic + one manual gearbox, with axles, and some stuff for 2000€/2165$. I think I can have a better price when I'll talk with the guy.

My biggest question now is about the harness. I just need to remove the motor harness and computer from my 2.3, and plug back the 4.0 harness/computer? It's plug and play?
I think I will take the counter from the Explorer, as they have the same shape.

Does the engine mounts from the explorer can fit the Ranger?

I'll be back with some more question when I'll have more informations about the Explorer (year, general shape etc..)

Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Year of Explorer matters, only the 1994-2001 will work, 2002 and up were different

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
2.9 DOHC out of a granada is a semi bolt in... You may need to drill a d tap the engine mounts, but the bosses are there.

It'll rip the crank out of that sohc.

Last edited:

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I got some news from the seller.

Well, it's not one explorer but two ahah! One Sohc, automatic, complete, and one Ohv, manual, he remove the motor.

The SOHC is from 1999 and the OHV from 1996.

The manual is AWD, so with the transfert box... I guess it's an other problem te take in consideration?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that is a problem, the AWD
AWD transmissions can't be used as is in a 2WD, the AWD transfer case will "roll" even if manual trans is in gear with engine off, it uses a viscous coupling so BOTH front and rear drive shafts need to be connected to a differential or it will "roll" when Parked on even a slight hill
You could use E-Brake religiously and use the manual trans with AWD transfer case and shorter rear drive shaft

You can convert the M5R1 4x4 trans to 2WD with new output shaft and tail shaft housing, but its a bit of work(disassembly/reassembly) and parts to do it may not be handy in your location

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
And is that possible to take all the transmission parts, and pass the 2WD to AWD?
I had the idea to take the rear axle cause in any case, it's the 8.8 so a bit stronger

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what you mean by "pass the 2WD to AWD"?

You are not likely to hurt a Ranger 7.5" or 8.8" unless you put on 33" or larger tires

The rating for both is 2,750lbs, thats how much weight that either can carry
The Explorer 8.8" is rated at 3,200lbs because body was heavier in the rear of an SUV
So not really needed in a Ranger unless you will be running very large tires and then that comes down to the larger diameter axles, not really the diameter of the ring gear

Using the Explorer rear end in a Ranger requires cutting and welding of the spring perches and shock mounts, so not a simple bolt in swap
Info here on that swap: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.shtml

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals