• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L SOHC swap to 4.0L SOHC?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yes, that is a problem, the AWD
AWD transmissions can't be used as is in a 2WD, the AWD transfer case will "roll" even if manual trans is in gear with engine off, it uses a viscous coupling so BOTH front and rear drive shafts need to be connected to a differential or it will "roll" when Parked on even a slight hill
You’re thinking the 4404 AWD T-case used behind the V8. And you’re absolutely right about them rolling away. The 44-05 used in the V6 Explorer doesn’t have the viscous coupler. It’s an electronic actuated 4wd to control slip... then returns to 2wd.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good info, so do you think the OP could use it safely without front drive shaft connected, in full time 2WD?

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I mean using all the parts from the explorer. As the gearbox is for the AWD, can I use the parts to get my front wheels "working"?
I had the idea to take the rims and tires of one of the Explorer, so not big tires. I had the idea to swap the axle cause of the brakes. It can be interesting to put some rear disc brakes on the ranger? More power mean need more brakes I guess, or maybe I can just take the disc brake and adapt them to my stock axle? Or maybe the drums one are good enough ^^

I know about swapping axle isn't just bolt out bolt in.

And does I need to take the driveshat from the explorer or I can keep the Ranger one?

It's a lot of question, but I want to be sure before spending tons of money in it ^^

EDIT: Haven't seen you replied before I post..
It could be really nice if I can stay 2WD even with the transfer case in place!!

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Good info, so do you think the OP could use it safely without front drive shaft connected, in full time 2WD?
If it’s a 44-05, like it should be... absolutely. It locks in to a true 2wd.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I mean using all the parts from the explorer. As the gearbox is for the AWD, can I use the parts to get my front wheels "working"?
I had the idea to take the rims and tires of one of the Explorer, so not big tires. I had the idea to swap the axle cause of the brakes. It can be interesting to put some rear disc brakes on the ranger? More power mean need more brakes I guess, or maybe I can just take the disc brake and adapt them to my stock axle? Or maybe the drums one are good enough ^^

I know about swapping axle isn't just bolt out bolt in.

And does I need to take the driveshat from the explorer or I can keep the Ranger one?

It's a lot of question, but I want to be sure before spending tons of money in it ^^

EDIT: Haven't seen you replied before I post..
It could be really nice if I can stay 2WD even with the transfer case in place!!
No, There are two different frames used in Rangers, 2WD and 4x4, so 4WD was not an "option" the truck was either built as a 4x4 or a 2WD, from the frame out
So not a bolt on conversion for the front axle either
You CAN do anything, you just need to re-enforce the front of the frame, box it, and add the mounting points for the front axle, which is beyond my knowledge

According to snoranger you can use the V6 transfer case, as is, attached to the manual trans and it won't "roll away"
You would need a custom rear drive shaft as far as I known, the current 2WD ranger or AWD Explorer drive shafts will be the wrong length

This is a good page to bookmark: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Most of this stuff has been done and articles on the projects are seen here

You do need to weigh the cost in $$$ and time for projects like this
You can buy a Factory 4.0l 4x4 Ranger, or in your case import one, lol

Projects are fun but are done because its just what you want to do, if the goal is a 4.0l 4x4 ranger then just buy one
If the goal is to BUILD a 4.0l 4x4 Ranger then build one for the satifaction of doing it, because its NOT an economical project :)

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No, There are two different frames used in Rangers, 2WD and 4x4, so 4WD was not an "option" the truck was either built as a 4x4 or a 2WD, from the frame out
So not a bolt on conversion for the front axle either
You CAN do anything, you just need to re-enforce the front of the frame, box it, and add the mounting points for the front axle, which is beyond my knowledge

According to snoranger you can use the V6 transfer case, as is, attached to the manual trans and it won't "roll away"
You would need a custom rear drive shaft as far as I known, the current 2WD ranger or AWD Explorer drive shafts will be the wrong length

This is a good page to bookmark: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Most of this stuff has been done and articles on the projects are seen here

You do need to weigh the cost in $$$ and time for projects like this
You can buy a Factory 4.0l 4x4 Ranger, or in your case import one, lol

Projects are fun but are done because its just what you want to do, if the goal is a 4.0l 4x4 ranger then just buy one
If the goal is to BUILD a 4.0l 4x4 Ranger then build one for the satifaction of doing it, because its NOT an economical project :)
Ok, I kinda knew there is problebly some difference for a 4x4.

I asked the seller to know which transfer case is it. I hope Snoranger is right, and I hope it's the 44-05 ahah! :p

The idea is not to build a 4x4 4.0 V6. Basically it's only increase the power of my Ranger, the best and easier way possible. Swapping for a 4.0 seem to be the best and the less expansive way. In my case, 2 complete Explorer for 2000$, with everything I need.. Except a driveshaft apparently ahahah

There's no mustang or other cars with the 2.3 Turbo here, or it's the complete car at 20.000€ Ahah!

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I asked the seller to know which transfer case is it. I hope Snoranger is right, and I hope it's the 44-05 ahah! :p
In the US, all 95-01 4 door, V6 Explorers got the 4405. All 96-01 V8 Explorers got the 4404.
The V6 Explorer used the Torque-on-demand AWD. When it sensed wheel slip, it sent power to the T-case through a brown wire (look up Explorer “brown wire mod”... that will teach you all about the electronics that control the T-case. I’ll just give a brief summary.) The wire actuated an electromagnet that pulled a clutch. The clutch pressed against three balls in a ramp like cage. That would lock in the front driveshaft very quickly, but strong enough to transfer power to all 4 wheels.
The 44-05 used a lot of the same internals as the 13-54 in the Ranger, earlier 4 door Explorer, and all year Explorer sports. I’ve had a ton of each of them apart... hell, I still enough spare parts to assemble at least one 13-50, 13-54, or 44-05.

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You guys are real sources of informations. Thanks for everything.

So it seem to be really interesting, the guy tell me the ref in the week.
And do you knox about the length of the driveshaft? Need a custom one?

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had the guy on phone. He haven't been able to check the ref of the transfer case, because he cant move the gearbox (health problem) but he told me, it a complete stock ford explorer from 1996, with 49,709miles.

I got a question. Maybe it's a silly one but in the case of the rear driveshaft from the explorer is too short to fit on the ranger.

Is that possible to make a simple spacer?

As I worked in industrial mold, I can use lathe and milling machine.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I had the guy on phone. He haven't been able to check the ref of the transfer case, because he cant move the gearbox (health problem) but he told me, it a complete stock ford explorer from 1996, with 49,709miles.
A ‘96 4 door would have a 44-05... A 2 door would have a 13-54. Either T-case can be left in 2wd without a a front driveshaft.

The only one that would have an issue would be the V8 AWD.

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's a 2 doors, so should be 13-54 then.
And it was a OHV in so no v8 for sure 😛

I will try to look for the length of the driveshaft I will need

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is your Ranger a regular cab or extended cab?

Because stock Ranger 4x4 rear drive shaft would fit if its a 1354, but would need to match frame length, i.e. regular cab or extended cab

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got a regular cab, so I need a driveshaft from a regular cab 4x4?

Last edited:

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
About the driveshaft, in case I can't find the good one.
Is that possible to cut one and reweld it? Or will it be to weak near the weld?
I know it need to be well balanced, to prevent vibrations etc.

EnzoSZ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was thinking about the steering...
Does the power steering are compatible? I mean between the parts who stay on the ranger and the PS pump on the V6.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals