• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L not getting enough fuel?

92Ford2.3L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I'm new here. I have a really big question for all of you.
1992 Ford Ranger 2.3L 2WD
Dual plug
Okay, I'm doing a restoration project on this thing and I'm in the stage of finally getting it to run. Well, I'm having issues with that. I have spark, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, new fuel pressure regulator, new sending unit, basically all of the fuel stuff is new except for 3 injectors.
This thing will only run for about 5-10 seconds and then just act like it runs out of fuel and dies. It will keep running if I constantly shoot some starting fluid into there and keep it going that way. The timing is fine, the fuel pressure at the rail is 38 PSI and the pressure at the sending unit was about 90 PSI.
It runs absolutely beautiful when it does run for those few seconds.
I would appreciate any questions and I will answer them as much as I can to hopefully get this thing running.
Thanks in advance!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If starting fluid keeps it running then it IS running out of gas

So the 38psi at the engine is while its running?
And it stays above 30psi while it dies?

If so then you are losing fuel injector pulses from the PCM(computer)
In 1992 the ICM(ignition control module) runs the spark system, it also sends a "timing pulse" to the PCM so it can time injectors, if this timing pulse is cut then no injector pulses
Do you have a Tach in that dash?
It uses same pulse, if Tach drops to 0 THEN engine stalls could be wiring or ICM itself

Check the wiring and connectors on ICM also make sure its grounded

92Ford2.3L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I do not have a Tach in the dash, I replaced the ICM and PCM a little bit ago. I know the ICM is grounded because I had to replace the screws I snapped off when replacing it. The PCM is will grounded onto bare metal. I haven't replaced any wires either, just took out the old part and put the new one in. I made sure the connectors were plugged in correctly and plugged in all the way.

Welcome to TRS :)

If starting fluid keeps it running then it IS running out of gas

So the 38psi at the engine is while its running?
And it stays above 30psi while it dies?

If so then you are losing fuel injector pulses from the PCM(computer)
In 1992 the ICM(ignition control module) runs the spark system, it also sends a "timing pulse" to the PCM so it can time injectors, if this timing pulse is cut then no injector pulses
Do you have a Tach in that dash?
It uses same pulse, if Tach drops to 0 THEN engine stalls could be wiring or ICM itself

Check the wiring and connectors on ICM also make sure its grounded

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You could rent a Noid Light set, they attach to a Fuel injector and its connector, they flash when PCM pulses the ground on that injector
This would tell you if you are losing injector pulses after startup
Make sure they have Ford connectors
In this situation you only need to test one and test light might work as ground would be cut when PCM stopped the pulse

And your fuel pressure stays at or above 30psi after startup?

Last edited:

92Ford2.3L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
After startup the fuel pressure stays above 30 psi. We will try the noid light test and go from there!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals