• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L NA vs. Turbo Differences

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm going to look at a car next week that has a 2.3L ford with a turbo on it. Was told it is an older carbed version that has been converted to a blow-thru supposedly so I'm assuming '79-'81. No clue if the dude knows what he has or not. I am concerned mostly with it being a NA motor with a turbo slapped on there that is likely to blow up in a month. Being the older version, it has a steel valve cover so I can't go by that. Don't know what type carb is on it, haven't seen it in person yet. What should I be looking for to make this determination or am I just going to have to take my chances? I am totally fine with it being NA if that's what it is, but I'd hate to unknowingly run it with the turbo and ruin a perfectly good NA enigne.

Last edited:

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With n/a's of any kind you can slap a turbo kit on it and boost it safely up to around 8psi but with carburetors you can only boost it to 8psi before blowing all the seals in the carb so if you have the ability to check the boost do so to make sure its between 5-7 psi

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
True they could handle low boost but they become much more likely to blow at any moment especially if you run it hard. I'd like to keep my NA's and Turbos separate for my driver cars. I'm really just interested in physical differences that I can see without tearing the motor down. I know the 2.3t has forged pistons and the newer ones have an oil return port cast in the block. I do know from pictures that this one has an oil return on the passenger side of the pan. Don't know how the '79-'81 was plumbed for that return.

Last edited:

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Scotts90ranger can help you with informantion concerning turbos and turboing the 2.3

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
The only way to tell if its a turbo motor is to pull the head off and look at the pistons. Unfortunately that is the only way. Everything on these motors is the same between the 2.3 and 2.3t, they used the same head, rods, crank, block, distributor, mounts and transmissions
. To hold the boost of the turbo the only put in forged dished pistons. Everything else is identical.

mat-archer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or if you have access to an inspection camera, could you not pull a spark plug, insert camera, see what the camera shows on the screen? Be a hell of a lot easier then tearing head off...just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Yes a camera would work, but not many people have one so I don't usually bring it up.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Would it be possible to look in the spark plug holes with a pen flashlight and see the dish? I have done this many time determining the difference between a flat piston 4.8 and a dish piston 5.3 chevy (same blocks, heads everything but bottom end) I cant find a picture of both stock pistons to see if there is enough difference to pull this off. Anyone know?

Also for anyone interested here is the only decent picture of the engine I have. About the only thing I can tell about it is that the oil drain is in the pan not the block, it doesn't have the newer aluminum turbo valve cover and that is a holset hx35 turbo.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
If the oil return is in the pan, its a good bet its not a factory turbo motor, don't take my word for it though, I've never seen the old Carbed ones in person. The piston should be distinguishable from the hole with a flashlight, the dish is only on about half the piston, but you should be able to see the ledge as I think its on the intake side.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
From my understanding of the draw-thru turbo motors, the turbo was mounted on the intake side anyways so it would make sense for someone to have replumbed the oil drain. After digging in the tech library on here, it says the '79-'81 turbo pistons were high compression (9.0), does this mean they would be flat top too?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I thought the draw thru carbs had the carb sitting on the passenger side where the air box is. If they were 9:1 motors, they very well could have been flat tops.

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just doing a little browsing on the topic and found a picture from a 1979 mustang 2.3 turbo sales brochure. I blew it up a little to help show the factory turbo location. I appears to be on the drivers side under the normal carb location.

Attachments

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the turbo feeds straight into the manifold?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Interesting. I've never seen one with the carb, looks like the setup my buddy is about to use on his 350 sbc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals